• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slings in Viles.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Earlier this week I transferred a few slings into slightly larger enclosures. Partly because the vile the chilobrachys dyscolus was in, had at least one small white thing moving within the substrate. So I wanted to move it into cleaner substrate & after gently transferring it out of the vile I decided it would benifit from something very slightly larger. Then having moved the chilobrachys, I looked at my cambridgei viles & decided something very slightly larger would be good for them too.

The above made me think. I have 2 H chilensis slings & these being slow growing will be in the viles for some time to come. I lightly mist the inside of the vile at least once a week & the substrate is already looking more moist than it did & this after just a couple of months.

How long do people keep slings in viles for on the same substrate? As it is harder to keep a small amount of substrate in optimum condition.
Also do people put holes in the side of viles to help air circulation? As all of mine only have holes in the lids.

I have not had any problems, but just wondered if I could do anything better than I am.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just trickle a few drops of water down one side of the vial a couple of times a week. I do have holes in the lids but not in the sides although I lift the lid every day to let a bit of fresh air in, okay if you only have a few Ts in vials but no fun if you have a lot.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'll leave my slings on the same substrate for a year or so. Usually up until they need to be rehoused. Alot of times those white things crawling around in the substrate are beneficial. They usually are cleaning up for you. Unless there are way too many I dont bother with removing them. Too much water can be bad in the vials. Air flow is reduced in these so watering will be needed less then normal enclosures. At the sling stage food for their moisture would be a higher priority then misting with water. I keep my slings on the verge of being dry...it should be able to dry out in a weeks time.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I generally put a small ball of sphagnum moss in each vile & try to dribble water down onto that. The intention is to keep my substrate dry, but with an option of moisture, if they want it.

Latest posts