• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shopping for a Brachypelma

tarantallie

Hey there, it was recommended to go with a Brachypelma as a good beginner tarantula. Ant suggestions on where to find one for sale?thanks.

tarantallie

anyone you guys can vouch for. I’m open to suggestions for other beginner species as well. Where I live none of the local pet shops carry spiders.thanks

E

ExMember

Any Brachypelma is a good first tarantula. B hamorii / smithi are great but some kick hairs pretty bad. B boehmei / baumgarteni tend to be more on the feisty side.

Grammastola species are great for beginners albeit a little pricey. G pulchra and pulchripes (the beauties) are usually calm and easy to take care of. G rosea can be hit or miss. Some are very chill while others are referred to as "psycho rosies"

The best beginner species are Homoeomma chilesis from what I hear. They are pricey now since Chile has banned exporting them. I am on the lookout right now and will jump at the opportunity if it arises.

Another great starter tarantula is the Tliltocatl (ex Brachypelma) albopilosum. The curly hair! Easy to take care of and a medium growth rate. Generally pretty docile and slings are dirt cheap.

Other considerations:

Eupalaestrus campestratus (the pink zebra beauty)
Aphonopelma calchodes (arizona blonde)

I don't live in the US but have heard great things about Jamie's tarantulas and Fear Not tarantulas. Just avoid places like Backwater reptiles and other such wholesalers. Heard about so many bad experiences with them. Kijiji and forum classifieds can be good too.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Any Brachypelma is a good first tarantula. B hamorii / smithi are great but some kick hairs pretty bad. B boehmei / baumgarteni tend to be more on the feisty side.

Grammastola species are great for beginners albeit a little pricey. G pulchra and pulchripes (the beauties) are usually calm and easy to take care of. G rosea can be hit or miss. Some are very chill while others are referred to as "psycho rosies"

The best beginner species are Homoeomma chilesis from what I hear. They are pricey now since Chile has banned exporting them. I am on the lookout right now and will jump at the opportunity if it arises.

Another great starter tarantula is the Tliltocatl (ex Brachypelma) albopilosum. The curly hair! Easy to take care of and a medium growth rate. Generally pretty docile and slings are dirt cheap.

Other considerations:

Eupalaestrus campestratus (the pink zebra beauty)
Aphonopelma calchodes (arizona blonde)

I don't live in the US but have heard great things about Jamie's tarantulas and Fear Not tarantulas. Just avoid places like Backwater reptiles and other such wholesalers. Heard about so many bad experiences with them. Kijiji and forum classifieds can be good too.
Hi
Great suggestions.
I would not recommend Aphonopelma chalcodes for a first T the reason is while being very manageable and bulletproof the fast they are known for can drive new keeper crazy with worries about them.
I will add Lasiodora Parahybana (my 1st T)
as a good 1st T option too. Good eater with good growth rate
Regards Konstantin

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Brachypelma or tliltocatl are good for beginners. I also recommend either a Grammostola pulchripes or Aphonopelma hentzi. While there are several good places to buy from, @Austin S. Is the best seller in my opinion. He even has a fancy, relatively new website as well.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
All depends on what size your getting I got one in 50cm x 25cm tank .Its probably about 5.5-6 inchs legspan .

tarantallie

I’ll be going with the Grammostola in the same size range. 5.5”
should I go with an enclosure the same size: 50cm x 25cm
or larger?
thanks much

Last edited:

JayManges

I certainly understand wanting a grown species. Keep in mind most that size will most likely have their sex determined. Females cost significantly more. Males in that size range are usually close to the end of their lifespan. If the seller doesn't specify, assume it is a male.

tarantallie

I’m not really concerned what sex the tarantula is. Should I be?
Will the Grammostola Ella has for sale grow to be 5” or is 2.5“ max
What is the other tarantula forum you speak of?
thanks

Last edited:
E

ExMember

G pulchripes can get rather large. 7-8" legspan. Although some individuals may be smaller.

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I’m not really concerned what sex the tarantula is. Should I be?
Will the Grammostola Ella has for sale grow to be 5” or is 2.5“ max
What is the other tarantula forum you speak of?
thanks
Males tend to live a much shorter life , but if you dont mind that then the sex won t matter .

Latest posts