• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shampooing carpets?

One of the kids shut my dog in my bedroom last night with my T’s and my dog peed on my carpet. I keep my T’s in my bedroom separate from the rest of the animals because I have 4 cats and they actually killed my O. philippinus A couple of years ago by knocking her enclosure off a shelf while she was molting. I’m super careful not to use any chemicals in my bedroom. No plug ins, no candles, wax burners, no sprays, nothing like that. I really need to shampoo my carpet in my bedroom and I’m not sure if that’s safe or not with my T’s in there. Should I move them into another room while I shampoo the carpet and let the bedroom air out? Or do you think they’ll be fine? Has anyone had any experience with this?

T-Baby

3 Year Member
I can’t speak from experience but I’m assuming the fumes will be pretty potent, I would move them out for a few days and let them room air.

See the fumes is what I’m worried about. I use shampoo for pets since I have a mini zoo in my house, but it’s nothing like “natural” or “organic”. I have a window AC unit in my room so I can’t open that window the other window is blocked by my T’s. I guess I’m just going to have to move them somewhere for a few days.

Shame on your cat. They are so bad!
I'd just find a room that can keep the cats out, even if your place just has a bathroom where the shower isn't being used for the hours needed to dry the carpet.
I'd also check youtube instructions for natural substitutes like vinegar and baking soda to clean. If the cat didn't wiz too far, maybe a spot clean will work too. Just ideas off the top of my head. You probably need to see if your carpet is glued or nailed into place. If its a rental, theres a good chance that its lightly tacked in place for easy replacement. Lifting it will make cleaning the hardfloor underneath much better and drying the carpet much quicker and easier.

Best regards

Shame on your cat. They are so bad!
I'd just find a room that can keep the cats out, even if your place just has a bathroom where the shower isn't being used for the hours needed to dry the carpet.
I'd also check youtube instructions for natural substitutes like vinegar and baking soda to clean. If the cat didn't wiz too far, maybe a spot clean will work too. Just ideas off the top of my head. You probably need to see if your carpet is glued or nailed into place. If its a rental, theres a good chance that its lightly tacked in place for easy replacement. Lifting it will make cleaning the hardfloor underneath much better and drying the carpet much quicker and easier.

Best regards

My cats are a**holes, but I love them. I try my best to keep them out of my bedroom where my T’s are unless we are in there and can keep an eye on them. Last night my 10 year old went into my room to get something and the dog followed her, because he thinks that is his room, and he peed on the floor. I wiped the carpet today with some baking soda and water, hopefully that’ll help until I can move my T’s somewhere. Unfortunately we have a small house, one bathroom, the girl has a pocket door witch is impossible to keep the cats from getting in. The boy might be staying at his friends house for a few days so if he does I’m going to put them in his room and shampoo the carpet in my room while he’s gone.

Sorry I missed that it was the DOG who peed. Here I'm blaming the cats for nothing.
They're going to get mad at me.

If the carpet is shag, you can pinch it and pull up to find out where its fastened. If there's nails on the edge, very carefully, you might be able to pull them with plyers and replace the bent nails with new ones after its all dry. It'll be easier and probably rinse the stain by using towels after testing the white vinegar in an inconspicuous spot behind furniture first for colorfast. A fan facing the lifted underside of the carpet should dry fast. It'll cost you a fraction of the cost of a carpet cleaner rental and shampoo.

Latest posts