• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing my T. stirmi

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Any ideas?

20190823_092138.jpg 20190823_092328.jpg 20190823_092346.jpg

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Full size. Click on third picture, best picture.

20190823_092138.jpg
20190823_092328.jpg
20190823_092346.jpg

Last edited:

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No spermathecae, uterus externus or bursa copulatrix visable in any of those pics yet people are saying female?

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
Kinda see a flap there, or not. I’m kinda late to the party. Do you have a photo of it stretched out more? Better yet a ventral photo will show if it’s male or not.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Well all I have to say is if it is a male I am going to be highly upset as I purchased a confirmed female from PNW Arachnicds.

AndrewClayton

Well all I have to say is if it is a male I am going to be highly upset as I purchased a confirmed female from PNW Arachnicds.
Do you still have the moult. If so try soaking the abdomen part and pull it gently over you’re thumb to keep it in place while you use a sewing needle or toothpick or something similar to run over the area where the spermathecae should be if it’s male there will be nothing there it should just slide straight over if it’s female you should see a flap and what looks like alien antenna that’s the spermathecae

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Really sorry but to me it does look male. Girls have quite a pronounced spermatheca that kind of looks like a tongue poking upwards. Though from scrolling above it seems opinion is really divided, so I could be wrong!!

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Will do a closer exam on the next molt. He/she eats like a horse so it won't take long. :T:

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If only there was some sort of guide somewhere that showed and explained the three structures to look for in female moults as well as showing male accessory organs. Perhaps even having a modest selection of spermathecae photos of various species as well. That sort of thing could probably take a lot of the guess work out of these sorts of posts.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
If only there was some sort of guide somewhere that showed and explained the three structures to look for in female moults as well as showing male accessory organs. Perhaps even having a modest selection of spermathecae photos of various species as well. That sort of thing could probably take a lot of the guess work out of these sorts of posts.

If only there was something like this:

;)