• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seemanni advice

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First off have a mature male or two. Males are much harder to find then females lately. A mature male can fetch $100 vs. $20-30 for a female. The ladies can be rather violent so you should be on your toes. After my recent pairing I just lost a male due to a nasty bite...had to let her keep him.
20201218_200942.jpg
Whats left of the male
20200908_160534.jpg
Mature male
20200329_131723.jpg
Mature female

ThePog

3 Year Member
My seemanni female is super friendly and let’s me pick her up and has never given my a threat pose although she can be skittish at times. My male on the other hand is a psychopath. He hates being handled but has never shown a threat pose and also I had a friend confirm a male for me from a local pet shop and he was only ten bucks. Also are there any differences in males and females physically.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Take a close look at arachnoclown's male. Although injured, he has hooks on his first patellar legs, long thin legs, and his pedipalps are thrombosed (boxing gloves). All these things happen at its ultimate molt. Until that time, a male cannot mate and should not be paired with a female. If this is obvious to you, I apologize. Does this help?

ThePog

3 Year Member
I had guess that but thanks for the advice. also one more question. I’m pretty sure that my female is mature but how could I tell by physical appearance.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had guess that but thanks for the advice. also one more question. I’m pretty sure that my female is mature but how could I tell by physical appearance.
The female will be sexually mature at 4.5"- 5". The spermatheca within the molt will be dark...like with these ladies.
20190311_151626.jpg
20190126_164941.jpg
The males(like in my photo) turn black and lose alot of their stripes once matured. They become extremely aggressive/skittish and may bite you (they want to breed not be held or slowed down from accomplishing their task). Until maturity both males and females look identical. All my females are docile also...they all have killed or attempted to kill their mates. Breeding tarantulas is when your most likely to take a bite...keep that in mind. Good luck

Latest posts