• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Screen Top on Enclosure

SpiderSteve

Hey everyone, I'm a new tarantula owner, I've had my guy here for about a month. I came home today and found him hanging by one leg from the screen lid on his enclosure freaking out and trying to grab anything in reach. I tapped the lid and he fell down (which I now realize was not the best way to do that), but he seems fine now.

I wanted a quick fix until I can figure something else out, so I put tape on the lid, sticky side out so the non-sticky side would be the only thing he'd be able to touch. I left some gaps for air and figure if he sticks his leg between the tap and it gets stuck again, he might be able to get himself off easier if he can grip around where the leg is stuck. It looks like he can't grip the glass, but I'm thinking the tape might work better.

I've never had any pet like this before, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking how long he'd been hanging there while I was at work. I'm very thankful he didn't lose a leg or get hurt, but what can I do to prevent this? Does my tape fix look okay or no? I'm clueless and just want to make sure I'm giving my pet here a good life. I have some moss that I mist and keep damp, a water dish, a cork, and his little log hiding spot. The spider is an A. Seemanni. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 15759513496852847290200878378022.jpg
    15759513496852847290200878378022.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
Hey, Zebras like to dig, I'd give it more dirt. This way it less likely will try to climb mount Everest. Screens are known to cause problems, some ppl replace them with plexi and so on. And...ventilation is very important, now it looks restricted. Cheers, we all learn, so don't stress too much.

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, I'm a new tarantula owner, I've had my guy here for about a month. I came home today and found him hanging by one leg from the screen lid on his enclosure freaking out and trying to grab anything in reach. I tapped the lid and he fell down (which I now realize was not the best way to do that), but he seems fine now.

I wanted a quick fix until I can figure something else out, so I put tape on the lid, sticky side out so the non-sticky side would be the only thing he'd be able to touch. I left some gaps for air and figure if he sticks his leg between the tap and it gets stuck again, he might be able to get himself off easier if he can grip around where the leg is stuck. It looks like he can't grip the glass, but I'm thinking the tape might work better.

I've never had any pet like this before, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking how long he'd been hanging there while I was at work. I'm very thankful he didn't lose a leg or get hurt, but what can I do to prevent this? Does my tape fix look okay or no? I'm clueless and just want to make sure I'm giving my pet here a good life. I have some moss that I mist and keep damp, a water dish, a cork, and his little log hiding spot. The spider is an A. Seemanni. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re really on a budget then you could drill holes through the tape, but the best option would be to cut the screen and replace it with plexiglass.

SpiderSteve

Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quick. I'm gonna go get more soil for him so he can dig more. In the mean time, I'm using a piece of cardboard until I can get some plexi glass. I figure anything is better than the screen. This is what I have going on now:

Attachments

• 15760054281485019424586394775546.jpg
    15760054281485019424586394775546.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone for getting back to me so quick. I'm gonna go get more soil for him so he can dig more. In the mean time, I'm using a piece of cardboard until I can get some plexi glass. I figure anything is better than the screen. This is what I have going on now:

Good deal brother! Glad to see that you care enough to do the right thing for your tarantula. Not everyone has that dedication to the hobby.