• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpion communal set up???

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Ok so tomorrow I'll be getting 5 adult Hottentotta hottentotta in hopes of keeping them all together. Never really had a interest in scorpions but recently found out that some species can be kept communally, and a communal set up is something im interested in so I've been talking with a local vendor and got a great deal, so here we go.
Has anyone else on here done this? Not finding much on the subject but my vendors got me set up to get started so I know the species im getting are communal as adults, but just to make sure I don't have a scorp fight right away, how should I introduce them to each other?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can only share my experience which may or may not apply to you. I did this successfully with H spinifer scorplings BUT.....

When I had 22 scorpling's by surprise from H spinifer, I obtained a 12x24 Terra Blue professional enclosure and about half a dozen hides, some cork bark, one big water dish and about 4 or 5 smaller ones.

I had zero cases of cannibalism, but had to donate them to a petstore in a hurry due to the increased number of altercations that were occurring.

Unless you have 100% proof beyond any doubt whatsoever that these guys can be kept together, by which I mean HQ video and photos of someone with the exact same species doing it, don't do it!!

It's understandable if you can't afford 5 decent enclosures right away, but use totes or even deli cups to keep them alone.

Of course as time goes on, if they're separated you'll eventually want to get something transparent that you can see them through.

The one scorpling that I kept was the one that was dominating the rest. I named him Trouble and he's currently in a 4x4x4 juvenile enclosure kit from Jamie's tarantulas. These cost $9 dollars each.

They come with 2 bags of substrate. I would suggest using only one for scorplings.

https://jamiestarantulas.com/terrestrial-spiderling-enclosure-kit/

Here is how I did mine for my H pulchripes sling. This setup would also work for a scorpling but I'd just use one bag of substrate. Scorps can't climb glass so falling off of the ceiling is less of a problem. Using less substrate will keep them away from the mesh.

H pulchripes cage 1.jpg
H pulchripes cage 3.jpg

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I can only share my experience which may or may not apply to you. I did this successfully with H spinifer scorplings BUT.....

When I had 22 scorpling's by surprise from H spinifer, I obtained a 12x24 Terra Blue professional enclosure and about half a dozen hides, some cork bark, one big water dish and about 4 or 5 smaller ones.

I had zero cases of cannibalism, but had to donate them to a petstore in a hurry due to the increased number of altercations that were occurring.

Unless you have 100% proof beyond any doubt whatsoever that these guys can be kept together, by which I mean HQ video and photos of someone with the exact same species doing it, don't do it!!

It's understandable if you can't afford 5 decent enclosures right away, but use totes or even deli cups to keep them alone.

Of course as time goes on, if they're separated you'll eventually want to get something transparent that you can see them through.

The one scorpling that I kept was the one that was dominating the rest. I named him Trouble and he's currently in a 4x4x4 juvenile enclosure kit from Jamie's tarantulas. These cost $9 dollars each.

They come with 2 bags of substrate. I would suggest using only one for scorplings.

https://jamiestarantulas.com/terrestrial-spiderling-enclosure-kit/

Here is how I did mine for my H pulchripes sling. This setup would also work for a scorpling but I'd just use one bag of substrate. Scorps can't climb glass so falling off of the ceiling is less of a problem. Using less substrate will keep them away from the mesh.

View attachment 27590 View attachment 27591
Thanks for the input. Im pretty positive I should be able to keep these guys together with out a problem.

Everything I've read says this species can be kept together as adults. My dealer said as long as they're well fed they shouldn't bother each other and to just remove the females if they are gravid, im well aware there's still a risk of cannibalism but im not worried it that much, just a little currious on if I should feed each specimen before introducing them into the same habitat or should just have prey available as soon as I put them all in?

I plan on keeping them in a 32qrt tote or bigger so they will have plenty of space. Im going to use a sand coco mix for substrate and will have plenty of hides so that each one as a few different places they can get away to.

I am a little concerned about the fact that this species can reproduce without a male present, so I could end up with a lot of baby scorps, but my dealer assured me if this happens he can always take any offspring from me and possibly even buy or trade me for them so that could be a bonus in the long run, but even if I just have to donate them, still makes me feel better knowing I have somewhere they can go if this dose happen.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the number of hideouts, water dishes and feeders outnumbers the scorplings, you'll probably be fine.

Watch them closely!! If there are any altercations, even if no one is hurt, separate them!!

If I didn't donate my scorplings when I did, it would've turned into a blood bath.

Just get a cage with lots and lots of surface area!! That way they can be territorial without having to be on top of one another.

I'd investigate the Terra Blue professional enclosure, breeder edition 12x24.

Locate each hide and waterdish an equal distance from any heat source if you choose to use one.

If you use one, keep it overhead if a lamp or to the side highest part of the glass of it's a small heating mat. Less is more!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've kept R junceus and H jayakari communally. The junceus grew together from third instar, 6 total. 2 were eaten, the other 4 grew old and died together. The jayakari were bought as adults, one male two females, and don't seem to fight at all. Or make babies. -.-

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Excellent, your setup looks similar to my jayakari enclosure, they should be happy lil campers. Don't get tagged, good luck and be sure to let us know if the little devils start multiplying ;) I could go for some hottentotta slings..like 6 of them if priced resonably..

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Excellent, your setup looks similar to my jayakari enclosure, they should be happy lil campers. Don't get tagged, good luck and be sure to let us know if the little devils start multiplying ;) I could go for some hottentotta slings..like 6 of them if priced resonably..
Will do, hopefully I can pull a brood or 2 from these guys. The guy I got em from said he'll get a brood of about 20 every 6 months so we'll see if any of mine do the same.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Read the bite reports!! Yikes!! Also, they can reproduce when without males according to the net. Stay safe.
I'll try my best! Well aware of how painful of a punch these guys can pack so I'll be extremely careful with them, and if they do reproduce, Ill have plenty of help getting rid of them. Plus the old man around the block used to breed scorpions as well, so he's a good resource for me if that dose happen.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use spark plug pliers for cage maintenance. The advantage is that they have blunt curved rubber coated pinschers, which won't crack a water dish. The grip is firmer then tongs, lessening the chances of dropping things upon the scorps.

The other difference, at least with H spinifer, is that they can't run up the walls. This means that your substrate need not be almost all the way to the top because they can't fall from a distance or run around the lid on top upside down like a T can.

Of course, this doesn't mean that you should ever turn your back with the lid gone or not have a catch cup, cardboard and a paintbrush within reach 24/7!! The devil should never be mocked after all!!

Here's a pic of my enclosure. Look at the proportions versus her height.

They all light up under a blacklight but shouldn't be exposed for a long period beyond brief observations, or finding an escapee.

H spinifer thirsty 2.jpg
Blacklight scorp1.jpg
Scorp badass2.jpg
H spinifer thirsty 4.jpg

Latest posts