• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehouse

shaun

3 Year Member
Took the polystyrene backing out of an exo terra. Probably need another string of leaves down the right hand side.
20210925_121253.jpg

goldenpumpkin

This looks so pretty! Question: how do you know if a fake plant is tarantula-safe? I want to give my tarantula a fake plant but I'm scared of the material somehow being toxic to him :/

x_raphael_xx

This looks so pretty! Question: how do you know if a fake plant is tarantula-safe? I want to give my tarantula a fake plant but I'm scared of the material somehow being toxic to him :/
I usually just buy the fake ones in pet stores and cut/pull them apart as needed.
I doubt T's chew on them (although I know they can chew the foam backing on Exoterras, so I'm hapy to be corrected) so I think you're fairly safe whatever you choose.

I'd be more worried about making sure it wasn't something the T could injure itself on from falling on it or something.

shaun

3 Year Member
Cheers. I'm just waiting for him to rip it all up and bury everything.
At least it looked pretty for a while !!!

x_raphael_xx

Cheers. I'm just waiting for him to rip it all up and bury everything.
At least it looked pretty for a while !!!
I just have to keep reminding myself that T's don't care how pretty thier homes are, as long as they have a hide, substrate and food.
Decorating is just for the pleasure of the owners :D

goldenpumpkin

I usually just buy the fake ones in pet stores and cut/pull them apart as needed.
I doubt T's chew on them (although I know they can chew the foam backing on Exoterras, so I'm hapy to be corrected) so I think you're fairly safe whatever you choose.

I'd be more worried about making sure it wasn't something the T could injure itself on from falling on it or something.
Oh ok so you only buy ones specifically made for animals, not ones made for decorations like you'd find at craft stores?

x_raphael_xx

Oh ok so you only buy ones specifically made for animals, not ones made for decorations like you'd find at craft stores?
To be honest I don’t like shopping so I’m only ever seen in the petshop!
I don’t see a problem with craft store decorations, as long as theres no possibility of it injuring the T.

goldenpumpkin

To be honest I don’t like shopping so I’m only ever seen in the petshop!
I don’t see a problem with craft store decorations, as long as theres no possibility of it injuring the T.
That's good info, thank you! Now I can decorate without fear ^-^ Just to be clear, do you just rinse yours with water first? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to use soap because of the chemicals

x_raphael_xx

That's good info, thank you! Now I can decorate without fear ^-^ Just to be clear, do you just rinse yours with water first? I'm guessing you wouldn't want to use soap because of the chemicals
I always use pet safe cleaners or just water.
I don't tend to wash the fake plants I buy in pet shops as I assume its already safe for pets.
I'd definately would wash anything not bought in a petshop.

Latest posts