• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommendations for enclosure?

abbeyfaith27

I have a young B. Hamorii in a 10-gallon enclosure filled nearly to the top with a mixture of soil and coconut fiber. She has a half-log as a hidey. I've noticed in the past three days that tiny white spores have been breaking out over the surface of the soil mixture and deeper down, where the soil meets the tank glass. I took a flashlight today and checked her hidey, and white mold has started growing along the inner upper wall. I will deep clean everything and remove her from this tank, but what I am looking for is suggestions for a new type of enclosure. I would like to get something with cross ventilation. I also would like suggestions for how to fill the tank; i.e. what kind of substrate to use and how wet to get it, because I think my problem in being a relative novice at this was that I made the current substrate too damp.

Thanks in advance. Attached will be pictures of her current enclosure and the spider herself. She seems quite content right now, as she doesn't wander or climb the walls. However, I do understand the need to remove her from the enclosure and deep clean.

Attachments

• 78639072_440473343543351_3285114841399820288_n.jpg
    78639072_440473343543351_3285114841399820288_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 78933390_439806350276717_5990875398144000000_n.jpg
    78933390_439806350276717_5990875398144000000_n.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 23

FishermanSteve

3 Year Member
I have a young B. Hamorii in a 10-gallon enclosure filled nearly to the top with a mixture of soil and coconut fiber. She has a half-log as a hidey. I've noticed in the past three days that tiny white spores have been breaking out over the surface of the soil mixture and deeper down, where the soil meets the tank glass. I took a flashlight today and checked her hidey, and white mold has started growing along the inner upper wall. I will deep clean everything and remove her from this tank, but what I am looking for is suggestions for a new type of enclosure. I would like to get something with cross ventilation. I also would like suggestions for how to fill the tank; i.e. what kind of substrate to use and how wet to get it, because I think my problem in being a relative novice at this was that I made the current substrate too damp.

Thanks in advance. Attached will be pictures of her current enclosure and the spider herself. She seems quite content right now, as she doesn't wander or climb the walls. However, I do understand the need to remove her from the enclosure and deep clean.
There are Kritter keepers, sterilite tubs, exo terra nano’s and breeding boxes. All depends on how much you want to spend. I like a topsoil/peat moss mix, but coco fiber is good too. Hamorri should be kept dry with a water dish, no spraying or soaking needed.

Latest posts