• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question regarding heating and heat mats

DOS1392

Hi all, so i visited a reptile shop today, and all they was banging on about for heat mats for T enclosures (clsarly trying to sell them) my question is, my new home normally sits around 20-22 degrees Celsius, will T's be comfortable at this or will i need to provide heat mats for them? Normal heating in my house is on from around 6am till 7.30am then comes on again at 5ish till 6ish then maybe gets turned on manually in the late evening for half an hour or so when we give the little one a bath and put him to bed.

Thabks for any advice.

Dan

E

ExMember

Unless your house gets under 20 degrees Celsius I wouldn't worry about it. None of my tarantulas have heat mats but I have heard of some keepers using heat mats/thermostat to keep consistant temps for breeding etc.

It may be cliche but if you are comfortable the tarantulas are too :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm also in the UK and none of my Ts have heat mats. My central heating is on 13 hours a day with the temp in the room where my Ts are varying between 18C on a cold night and 26C and my Ts do fine.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is one heat mat that you can use "out of the box" that is fairly safe.

I use it for all 4 of my pokies.

It's a hermit crab heat mat. Of course, you put it on the side of the enclosure.

Obviously, only a small part of the enclosure should be warmed & there should ALWAYS be a cold side.

The water dish should be larger then normal & ALWAYS be full.

This is a pokie cage build and rehousing video, but it does feature these heating pads in there somewhere.

E

ExMember

There is one heat mat that you can use "out of the box" that is fairly safe.

I use it for all 4 of my pokies.

It's a hermit crab heat mat. Of course, you put it on the side of the enclosure.

Obviously, only a small part of the enclosure should be warmed & there should ALWAYS be a cold side.

The water dish should be larger then normal & ALWAYS be full.

This is a pokie cage build and rehousing video, but it does feature these heating pads in there somewhere.

Awesome advice!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just remember if you must use a heat mat always use a thermostat too for safety.

DOS1392

I'm also in the UK and none of my Ts have heat mats. My central heating is on 13 hours a day with the temp in the room where my Ts are varying between 18C on a cold night and 26C and my Ts do fine.
I bet your heating bill is through the roof lmfao so ive been keeping an eye and havent seen my future T room drop below 18degree C, so am i ok to assume they will be ok in there?

Latest posts