• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on Avicularia metallica

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Forgive my ignorance but I have a question.

1. Was Avicularia Metallica renamed? I went through the reclassification section and didn't see it.

2. Can anyone tell me what the temperament of a sub adult to adult is.

I have my eye on one and I am considering buying it.

I'm not an intermediate keeper yet and never owned an arboreal before. Care wise I know at least for a C. versicolor as I have that husbandry down. Which is still on my 1st choice list.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Forgive my ignorance but I have a question.

1. Was Avicularia Metallica renamed? I went through the reclassification section and didn't see it.

2. Can anyone tell me what the temperament of a sub adult to adult is.

I have my eye on one and I am considering buying it.

I'm not an intermediate keeper yet and never owned an arboreal before. Care wise I know at least for a C. versicolor as I have that husbandry down. Which is still on my 1st choice list.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
As far as I'm aware Avicularia Metallica is now known as Avicularia Avicularia there are several morph types 1-6 I believe?
If you are not planning on breeding it does not really matter what morph your one is :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are usually quite placid I have found and do like there food...
Plenty of cross ventilation in its enclosure.. Don't keep it humid as stuffy humid enclosures kill Avics.. Supply it with plenty to climb on and hide behind so cork bark and plastic plants and a water dish and you are good to go :)

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice the place that is selling it has it in an exo terra tall. I don't use exo's for my current T's as I really don't want to mess with cutting acrylic to replace the screen top.

What I have heard from people that own arboreals that the screen top is not an issue for them as they don't get their legs stuck or chew with their fangs on the screen to escape like terrestrials do.

Also I'm not ready to deal with an arboreal like the Trinidad Chevron that is super fast. I'm just going to be honest here as much as I can. I know my limitations at this point in the hobby and don't want to get over my head which could be disastrous.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics are slower, more cautious than their teleporting non-avic cousins, as such they are also not as agressive about feeding and drinking, they are opportunistic and complacent.

The main things for keeping them successfully are cross ventilation, a front opening enclosure, the web at the top usually, and decent substrate depth to retain moisture and provide good humidity, not high humidity. Be prepared to feed them in their webbing vs on the ground and drop water into their webbing in addition to keeping a water dish full at all times.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the advice the place that is selling it has it in an exo terra tall. I don't use exo's for my current T's as I really don't want to mess with cutting acrylic to replace the screen top.

What I have heard from people that own arboreals that the screen top is not an issue for them as they don't get their legs stuck or chew with their fangs on the screen to escape like terrestrials do.

Also I'm not ready to deal with an arboreal like the Trinidad Chevron that is super fast. I'm just going to be honest here as much as I can. I know my limitations at this point in the hobby and don't want to get over my head which could be disastrous.
You are right in saying that screen tops for arboreals are not a problem....like you say terrestrials is a completely different issue,
Avics are really nice entries into keeping arboreals and although fast nowhere near as fast as a Tapinauchenius or poecilotheria.. Those guys can teleport lol
Psalmopoeus can be fast but I've personally never had an issue with them but always best to be cautious and keep Ts that you feel most comfortable in dealing with :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe Avicularia metallica are now M6. Also, the temperament of these are docile. I have never had one give me a threat pose or act in an aggressive manner. They will, however, be flighty if they feel the slightest breeze, lol.

Latest posts