• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about cricket sizes

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

Where I get my brown silent crickets from, they have a choice of micro, small, medium, large and XL crickets. Does anyone know if e.g. the micro crickets are just newborn baby crickets and will grow eventually to be adults? Or are the micro ones a separate tiny breed of cricket? And can all the different sizes live together?

I am wondering as I am thinking about getting some spiderling Ts so would need micro crickets, but not tons, so I wondered if they will grow bigger then I can feed them to other Ts.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

Where I get my brown silent crickets from, they have a choice of micro, small, medium, large and XL crickets. Does anyone know if e.g. the micro crickets are just newborn baby crickets and will grow eventually to be adults? Or are the micro ones a separate tiny breed of cricket? And can all the different sizes live together?

I am wondering as I am thinking about getting some spiderling Ts so would need micro crickets, but not tons, so I wondered if they will grow bigger then I can feed them to other Ts.
Micro crickets die off within a few days of getting them so not worth bothering with in my opinion.. I personally don't like crickets so only get enough to use up at once - if you are getting some small slings try bean weevils they are great for slings if you can get them they last for ages and require nothing other than the beans they come with to survive
If not get some mealworms and keep them somewhere cool they will keep very well and you can give to slings if you squash the head to stop them burrowing away or if the slings are particularly small cut the mealworm into small pieces and remove the next day
You can also give tiny slings 'cricket drumsticks' buy just pulling the legs off your cricket and break it open so it's easier to eat.. As you can tell I don't like crickets I think they are smelly nasty things and try to buy alternatives if possible hope that helps :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi,

Hi
Its the size that is micro.They will grow to adults if kept properly.I use crickets as main feeders as my girlfriend is not keen of having roaches roaming around the house while puts up with loose crickets. lol
I keep mine in critter keepers on cheap oats and water cristals in small dishes with occasional salad leaves supplement if I have them in frigde and they live quite a while(months tilll they mature if I dont feed them off) if you are willing to put care into keeping them alive they do last long.
Regards Konstantin

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks very much for the replies :) All that info is really helpful. I didn't know about feeding slings bean weevils - just looked them up!

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi
Its the size that is micro.They will grow to adults if kept properly.I use crickets as main feeders as my girlfriend is not keen of having roaches roaming around the house while puts up with loose crickets. lol
I keep mine in critter keepers on cheap oats and water cristals in small dishes with occasional salad leaves supplement if I have them in frigde and they live quite a while(months tilll they mature if I dont feed them off) if you are willing to put care into keeping them alive they do last long.
Regards Konstantin

Thanks, good to know! The crickets I got have lasted 4 weeks so far, so I am hoping to keep them alive for as long as I can. Strangely I quite like feeding the crickets and watching them haha, it's like 'cricket meditation' ;) They don't smell too bad if I clean them regularly, but putting that effort in it would be nice to feed tiny ones
to spiderlings too :)