• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

QotW: Favorite Genus

timc

3 Year Member
Had a crazy couple of weeks so didn’t have time to start these threads but we’re back!
So this week, I would like to hear everyone’s favorite genus, and why? Color, temperament, ease or difficulty of care, size, I’m curious how we all arrive at the types of tarantulas we love.

I’m going to start super basic, but I really do love Brachypelma. Simple care, often bulky, generally well tempered, and i’ve yet to find even one specimen that’s not gorgeous. Plus, I’m a patient person and I find raising them from tiny slings to stocky, fuzzy adults over years meditative and very rewarding.

Honorable mentions to Avicularia, nhandu (which i’m just wading into but is shooting up the list) and Lasiodora.

What about you guys and gals? Which genus must you own all of and won’t rest until you do?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome question:. I would have to with Poecilotheria. Often out and about. Very hardy. No tarantula looks nearly as cool--I love that stance! And with the exception of ornata, would rather flee than fight. I have a mature regalis that will catch a thrown cricket in the air like a dog catches a ball. No, you shouldn't hold one, but there is none of those pesky hairs to deal with.

Jeremy-psychonaut

Awesome question:. I would have to with Poecilotheria. Often out and about. Very hardy. No tarantula looks nearly as cool--I love that stance! And with the exception of ornata, would rather flee than fight. I have a mature regalis that will catch a thrown cricket in the air like a dog catches a ball. No, you shouldn't hold one, but there is none of those pesky hairs to deal with.
I’d have to agree, Poecilotheria are cool

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am torn between the two first answers, B and P.
As I am taking care of our Ts with my 9 years old son, I had to focus more on the Bs (we have currently 13 different ones) as the are well tempered, quite solid little beasts, stunning to observe and my son even get to hold some of them from time to time (he understand that the least we handle them the better they’ll be). I could do without the itchy hairs but it is a perfect excuse to justify not touching them often. The Bs, except for my vegans who believes she is an BBT (black biting thing), they are all peaceful and I am happy to know their venom is not potent, this is why I am saving the Ps for a few years from now when my son will be a little bit more mature as even if often very docile, they can pack a serious punch on the toxicity level. This said we have a regalis and a metallica but I am the only one allowed to feed them. Time will tell what the little man wants to focus on later on but the important part will be to prioritize raising captive bred species from slings to adult and maybe (if my wife let me live long enough!) get a few to reproduce.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tough one. I'd have to say between Brachypelma and Grammastola. Both are hardy, get bulky and are excellent eaters. They both have long life spans. They're both fairly easy to breed (minus G. pulchra but you bet your sweet ass I'm gonna master that one!). I can't choose just one, lol.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, before I answer, I must emphasize that my favorite species is not in my favorite genus.

My favorite genus is a three way tie between Harpactira, Phormictopus, and Psalmopoeus. To be honest I really don't know why these are my favorite.

Honorable mentions are tliltocatl and Homoeomma/Euathlus.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was waiting for someone to say phormictopus or pamphobeteus. The two most messed up genera in the whole hobby lol
I don't know about that my friend.. I'd give that award to Avicularia :D so much confusion over what's what lol

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last year I would have said Brachypelma with no hesitation, but after they took some of them & placed them in tliltocatl, now I am not sure I have a favourite now.

Latest posts