• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Typuter

Hello! I first want to preface this that this is my first tarantula after many years of wanting one. I did some research and found that one of the better beginner tarantulas were the Pumpkin Patch Tarantula. There was a sling available and I was able to purchase one. He/she is about 3/4" in length.

On their first day, they were relatively active. While I setup their enclosure, I let them stay in the container they came in and placed them in a stationary location. Once in their enclosure, they were relatively exploratory! They even made 2 burrows, not including them starter one I made for them, and covered the entrance/substrate with webbing.

Today, though, I noticed they were in their burrow and not moving. I tried offering flightless fruit flies to no luck, and went about spraying the enclosure to get some humidity going, which prompted slight movement but not a lot. I'm unsure if they're molting or if something else is going on? Every now and again there is slight movement but not much else. Please let me know what you think!

Photo attached:

Attachments

• 16285504406565955924610940078164.jpg
    16285504406565955924610940078164.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Tarantulafeets

Welcome to the forum!
The t webbing up the entrance is a do not disturb sign, so I would just leave it alone for a few days until it settles in. Don't spray water at it, as pressurized water and air will annoy them, and a better way to keep the humidity up is to moisten the substrate by using a pipette, pretty sure Tom Moran has an example on his sling care videos on youtube (he also has a specific care video for H columbia, if there is anything I missed.) Also, keeping track of humidity isn't that important, but rather the amount of water they drink. The internal fluids inside the t is what helps it separate itself from its old exo, not the amount of water in the air, so I would just put in a water dish (bottle cap, legos, etc.) And overfill it once in a while.
It doesn't look like it's in premolt, but I could be wrong. Btw, are you using a glass enclosure? If so, I would make sure that there is ventilation of some sort...
And what do you mean by they/them? Are there multiple in the same enclosure?

Typuter

Welcome to the forum!
The t webbing up the entrance is a do not disturb sign, so I would just leave it alone for a few days until it settles in. Don't spray water at it, as pressurized water and air will annoy them, and a better way to keep the humidity up is to moisten the substrate by using a pipette, pretty sure Tom Moran has an example on his sling care videos on youtube (he also has a specific care video for H columbia, if there is anything I missed.) Also, keeping track of humidity isn't that important, but rather the amount of water they drink. The internal fluids inside the t is what helps it separate itself from its old exo, not the amount of water in the air, so I would just put in a water dish (bottle cap, legos, etc.) And overfill it once in a while.
It doesn't look like it's in premolt, but I could be wrong. Btw, are you using a glass enclosure? If so, I would make sure that there is ventilation of some sort...
And what do you mean by they/them? Are there multiple in the same enclosure?
Thank you for the information! I'm currently using a plastic enclosure with a ventilated hood (I did make sure the holes were small enough so they can't out!)

When I say they/them, I'm referring to the Tarantula. It is unsexed so I just referred to it as such, not that it makes a difference to the tarantula!

TokeHound

Hello :) I have a Pumpkin Patch sling and mine doesn't move often either, it tends to freeze a lot when I pick up the cup. My hamorii also likes to freeze in place and not move when I come snooping for a peek