• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proper substrate

nyteovvl

Hello all,
I posted earlier an introduction and a request for advice and got some very helpful answers that made a lot of sense, when I think back to my rose hair. But I have a new question. I’m using Zoomed forest floor bedding but it seems a bit “Barky” will she ( I hope it’s a she ) be able to burrow in this or should I switch it up with sphagnum peat moss and vermiculite which I read on a tarantula care website? Any advice? I’m new to the hobby and don’t want her to die soon like my Charlotte ( named for the book ) my profile picture is one I took of her yesterday.

Thanks to everyone for he help.

nedaK

Hello all,
I posted earlier an introduction and a request for advice and got some very helpful answers that made a lot of sense, when I think back to my rose hair. But I have a new question. I’m using Zoomed forest floor bedding but it seems a bit “Barky” will she ( I hope it’s a she ) be able to burrow in this or should I switch it up with sphagnum peat moss and vermiculite which I read on a tarantula care website? Any advice? I’m new to the hobby and don’t want her to die soon like my Charlotte ( named for the book ) my profile picture is one I took of her yesterday.

Thanks to everyone for he help.
I just use plain coco fiber and add sphagnum moss for the species that require more humidity. You shouldn’t trust online care sheets unless it is on a forum because there are many hobbyists on here that are much more knowledgeable. I also make clay sand by grinding up the dirt in my area which has a high clay content and holds its shape very well when damp, which I add to largely fossorial species.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't use peat as a substrate. I'm talking about the kind that is of dirt-like consistency. Long fibered sphagnum moss is fine for species that need dampness, but not a rose hair or a curly hair. Coco coir works the best for me.

Latest posts