• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Probably worrying about nothing...

x_raphael_xx

Evening all, my avics avics sling hasn't eaten since I got her 2 weeks ago. Shes 1.5cm.

I've left small dead crickets and live fruitflies in her enclosure, she hasn't touched the crickets and runs away from the flies. She wouldn't leave the ground and was sitting in a stress pose so I took the flies out and she seemed happier, shes started climbing and built some light webbing. I left her a week and tried flies again today, they are just startling her.
I thought perhaps shes in premolt, but I'm not experienced enough yet to tell just by looking. Shes so fluffy and small I can't see if she's too thin or an okay weight.

image0.jpeg

I'm probably stressing over nothing, but as all my other spoods eat well, and I've had no problems with my c.versicolor sling, I'm worried I'm doing something wrong.
I've heard avics can be a 'delicate' species, I've made sure she has cross ventilation and I'm dampening the substrate.
Please help with suggestions, or just confirm I'm being an overprotective 'parent'.

x_raphael_xx

I wanted to get her out of the little 25ml tube as I couldn't get cross ventilation into it.
I know it needs more substrate, but I cut the first cup too darn short and I don't have another.
She 'sewed' the leaf together and hid in there when I put prey in.
Left alone she's happy to climb and sit on the plant.

IMG_5278.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cool

I typically give them a slab of cork bark on a diagonal as wide as the likes fan of the tarantula,with some plastic plants attached, so they have options of where to perch and lots of web anchor points.

I've also just stuck a bunch of plastic leaves sticking out the side of an enclosure like yours, and let them do their thing.

Let the sling do its thing. I see no cause for worry unless the substrate is super soaked and it's humid af in there.

x_raphael_xx

Cool

I typically give them a slab of cork bark on a diagonal as wide as the likes fan of the tarantula,with some plastic plants attached, so they have options of where to perch and lots of web anchor points.

I've also just stuck a bunch of plastic leaves sticking out the side of an enclosure like yours, and let them do their thing.

Let the sling do its thing. I see no cause for worry unless the substrate is super soaked and it's humid af in there.
Thank you.
No the substrate isn't soggy, just a few drops to keep it on the moist side. I hot-glued the plastic leaves to the pot, so I can lift it up without tearing her webbing.

I'll leave her alone for about a week and try feeding her again then. Maybe she'll surprise me with a molt in the meantime.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics that molt before webbing will often do so in the ground, of fall to the ground. Make sure it has access to water. A clump of damp moss on the substrate or a clean bottle cap full