• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pre-molt? Or Currently Molting ( Help)

ItsJustDan

Hello! I have a Pinktoe Avic and I'm really hoping nothing's wrong with her. Shes been spending alot of time on the ground lately even though shes always on top of the enclosure. She never webs just chills on top But these last few weeks shes been on the ground not eating/barely moving. At night she's active but not at all tonight she almost looks dead. Her fuzzy butt is almost fully bald. Here's a few pics​
20200620_032938.jpg20200620_032947.jpg
She also webbed this at the bottom that she rested on for a day or so.​
20200620_033051.jpg20200613_014706.jpg

I'm really worried about her the only molt I've experienced was with my Golden Knee Sling that gave many signs and molted with ease.​

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a peanut butter lid at the bottom of my Avic avics enclosure plus a reasonable area of sphagnum moss, that I keep moist. I also mist the plastic plants weekly & find he often pops out of hiding, for a wander, just after his weekly mist.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To me it looks and sounds like it's getting ready to moult.. As you have got a water dish there not anything else you can do except watch and wait for it to moult :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That substrate is too dry for an avic. I would pour some water in there to get it just at the "damp" level, especially if its in premolt.

Mundo exotico

Hello. I would not worry. It looks like pre moult. Even by her dark colour. I would leave water dish full of water and try to feed her in one week or 2.

Latest posts