• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possible causes of death

Scorp

My metallica passed a few days ago roughly 5 years old.
Nothing new in enclosure
Heat and humidity is automated
Molted 5 weeks prior
Ate 2 horned worms then stopped eating
She changed up her location in the tank, her cute little butt got really small, I never saw her drink but always gave fresh water. She was definitely a She but started to act like a male drumming, then it's almost like she got confused, forgot how to use her legs, or would get lost in her tank and spin circles in one spot. Also I noticed black fecal on her tank wall instead of the usual white.
My main concern is could this be a poisoning or virus or somthing, should I be putting an air filter in my bug room just incase?
None of my other T's, scorps, or snakes are having issues.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
Every now and then you get a t with a genetic disease that cause that I think it l DLS or DSL and there is nothing you can do about it from what you describe sounds like your t had it

.MIC

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear about your T. This definitely sounds like DKS, as my sling a couple weeks back had the same symptoms. For future reference, horn worms are not a bad choice for feeding T's, but it's best to stick with Dubia roaches, or even crickets as horn worms contain a high percentage of Calcium which can cause problems especially during the molting period.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe tarantula 'ICU's are concidered more harm than good.
I agree with you. Not a good video at all....ICUs are pure rubbish and should not be practiced at all. It's so far from the original idea that was brought in to the hobby. Its like that game you whisper something in one person's ear and eventually 20 people later it is something totally different. The original was a unnamed person we all know placed a lifeless spider in a fish tank with gravel and a little water. It sprung back to life. Dehydration. Poor husbandry was to blame. Now the world thinks placing a spider in a humid box cures all. Well it doesn't, it actually kills more then it saves. Don't we tell people to not worry about humidity? Not to mention the added stress people. Come on. (Don't get me started on stress) lol. :p

I'd bet that the hornworms fed to the Ops spider infact my have been the problem. Hornworms if feed the wrong food (tobacco or tomatoes) will kill invertebrates. Who knows where the worms came from originally.

Instead of a ICU leave the spider be, don't mess with it. Water the substrate under the spider. Tarantulas will drink from the soil. If the spider is weak you can lay it on its back and place water on its mouth periodically. However leave it on its back, dont keep rolling it around. Its fine on its back. You can also move its water dish closer so it can drink if its more active. Even prop it up onto it to drink. Up the temperature in the room. I like 85-90 degrees . It seams to have worked well for the spiders I have rescued. Your trying at this point to get it to molt out. I've saved a few spider doing this. It's so much easier on the spider this way then taking it out of its home.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with you. Not a good video at all....ICUs are pure rubbish and should not be practiced at all. It's so far from the original idea that was brought in to the hobby. Its like that game you whisper something in one person's ear and eventually 20 people later it is something totally different. The original was a unnamed person we all know placed a lifeless spider in a fish tank with gravel and a little water. It sprung back to life. Dehydration. Poor husbandry was to blame. Now the world thinks placing a spider in a humid box cures all. Well it doesn't, it actually kills more then it saves. Don't we tell people to not worry about humidity? Not to mention the added stress people. Come on. (Don't get me started on stress) lol. :p

I'd bet that the hornworms fed to the Ops spider infact my have been the problem. Hornworms if feed the wrong food (tobacco or tomatoes) will kill invertebrates. Who knows where the worms came from originally.

Instead of a ICU leave the spider be, don't mess with it. Water the substrate under the spider. Tarantulas will drink from the soil. If the spider is weak you can lay it on its back and place water on its mouth periodically. However leave it on its back, dont keep rolling it around. Its fine on its back. You can also move its water dish closer so it can drink if its more active. Even prop it up onto it to drink. Up the temperature in the room. I like 85-90 degrees . It seams to have worked well for the spiders I have rescued. Your trying at this point to get it to molt out. I've saved a few spider doing this. It's so much easier on the spider this way then taking it out of its home.
The Clown speaks the truth. Amen brother!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am so glad I just read this because I literally have fed my feeders tomatoes before (I've never kept hornworms though) you probably just saved my T's life...
It's mainly hornworms (wild stock)...the toxins from tobacco and tomatoe leaves are toxic to invertebrates. These toxins are stored in the worm.

Too much citrus or actual tomatoes are bad for gut loading feeders. I avoid tomatoes totally. A occasional orange isn't bad in moderation.

Last edited:

Anthony York

3 Year Member
Sorry if it came across that I was shooting you down! It wasn't meant that way :D
We're good I was just hoping you wasn't think I sent that for a possible treatment when I sent it for more of the possible issue from what he was describing I knew it an old video but it was the most recent that showed the symptoms that was posted so hopefully he could get some closure and know that it's not always something the keeper does

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I believe tarantula 'ICU's are concidered more harm than good.

Change My Mind 21022021153723.jpeg
Red Forman 09072019212418.jpeg
Patrick Bateman with Axe 13032019132142.jpeg

Latest posts