• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria ban

Redsycthe

Yeah, I'm hoping so, I did some research there are not many efforts to actually conserve and repopulate. This is due to deforestation and industrialization. Habitats are permanently wiped out. A true hobbyist and collector gets the brunt of habitat destruction having these species pulled away from the trade and banned. When in reality the hobbyist is keeping these species from being completely wiped out. Ultimate problem is captive bred P's will not do great when released into the wild. Simulated environments actually create an overwhelming influx that truly affects breeding and survival. Wild species just dont get attention. "They cut down the trees and oh they are just spiders". Failure to realize that P's are pretty much endemic to Sri Lanka this poses much more of a threat. They are more centralized, if a majority of that natural habitat disappears so does the spider.

Attachments

• 52.pdf
    36.9 KB · Views: 9

Doozer

3 Year Member
I'm afraid that in a short period of time there won't even be any natural habitat to release captive breed species into even if they could thrive. Their only hope might be the keeper/breeders around the world. I think that I will call my legislators. Might not do any good, but worth a try.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm afraid that in a short period of time there won't even be any natural habitat to release captive breed species into even if they could thrive. Their only hope might be the keeper/breeders around the world. I think that I will call my legislators. Might not do any good, but worth a try.

All it takes is one voice to make a difference! :)

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
Sadly Its hard to understand and when you get forest fires destorying there habitat also .You have to ask yourself why , politics and money especially when they have complete ban on the trade how many lifes lost not just tarantulas . The worlds going mad rather let something go extinct then save it not much sense , the powers that be let this happen .

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Are there any arachnid hobbyists or groups that are lobbying to have the ban on captive bred pokies lifted. (I know that not all pokies are banned)
The TKC(Tarantula Keepers Coalition) are working to help protect pokies and their habitats in Sri Lanka. They do auctions, etc on fb to raise money, etc. One of the founding members is working with a biologist in Sri Lanka.

Latest posts