• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please meet my surprise Typhochlaena!!!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
It’s time for me to introduce a special little lady!
This is Aurora, a 9mm DLS Typhochlaena seladonia..I call her her but I obviously don’t know!
She was sent to me as a total surprise, totally out the blue! You can imagine MY surprise!
I live in the U.K and it was sold here but ordered by my best friend in the whole world and soulmate who lives in the USA.

I haven't been well for quite some time but found out I could have a very important operation soon, and as a celebration of this news he was so sweet and kind and sent Aurora to me.
I called her Aurora which means Dawn as he hopes that she will herald a new dawn in my life.

So I have had her for three weeks now and was waiting for her and more importantly me as a novice to make sure she was o.k before I posted here, I am very aware of the fragility of these and arboreals and I am a terrestrial keeper.
So within hours she had selected one of the pre drilled holes on a piece of tronchos cork branch, and immediately set about tearing off pieces of lichen so construct a trap door, in a matter of hours she had finished, she also lined the hole with silk.
Today I sprayed her as usual and on the floor of her house I found a molt! So I’m delighted she molted successfully.
Viewing her is difficult because she stays in her house but I will add a few pictures, sorry, not good ones but I hope if she ventures out I can get some better ones.

Anyway, that’s her and my story. The jewel in my collection.
Aurora.
I will add this one web photo, so you can see how amazing they are. I can’t credit I’m afraid, I don’t know it’s source.
This isn’t her LOL!
4A2497FD-D528-4E03-AE73-856749A28F25.jpeg

1CE11411-899E-4CA3-9C1E-7154297D6965.jpeg
2FA0F98C-27A0-448D-AEF9-5D9686E59812.jpeg

95CF1F60-7471-47FF-A574-6C04E0B4BD7D.jpeg

This is her door she made, because I watched her make it I knew where it was but if I didn’t, I could never guess.
3571BF00-72E0-4622-9B96-1CA478E73334.jpeg

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow @Tabitha congrats on your beautiful new addition!:D
I have to admit I'm extremely jealous:p you are amazingly lucky to have such a kind friend who would buy you something so thoughtful:)
enjoy your gorgeous new little beauty!:T:

MrKrowe

It’s time for me to introduce a special little lady!
This is Aurora, a 9mm DLS Typhochlaena seladonia..I call her her but I obviously don’t know!
She was sent to me as a total surprise, totally out the blue! You can imagine MY surprise!
I live in the U.K and it was sold here but ordered by my best friend in the whole world and soulmate who lives in the USA.

I haven't been well for quite some time but found out I could have a very important operation soon, and as a celebration of this news he was so sweet and kind and sent Aurora to me.
I called her Aurora which means Dawn as he hopes that she will herald a new dawn in my life.

So I have had her for three weeks now and was waiting for her and more importantly me as a novice to make sure she was o.k before I posted here, I am very aware of the fragility of these and arboreals and I am a terrestrial keeper.
So within hours she had selected one of the pre drilled holes on a piece of tronchos cork branch, and immediately set about tearing off pieces of lichen so construct a trap door, in a matter of hours she had finished, she also lined the hole with silk.
Today I sprayed her as usual and on the floor of her house I found a molt! So I’m delighted she molted successfully.
Viewing her is difficult because she stays in her house but I will add a few pictures, sorry, not good ones but I hope if she ventures out I can get some better ones.

Anyway, that’s her and my story. The jewel in my collection.
Aurora.
I will add this one web photo, so you can see how amazing they are. I can’t credit I’m afraid, I don’t know it’s source.
This isn’t her LOL!
View attachment 38397

View attachment 38396 View attachment 38399

View attachment 38400
This is her core she made, because I watched her make it I knew where it was but if I didn’t, I could never guess.
View attachment 38398

Holy smoke, that’s one heck of a gift. Congratulations!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Wow @Tabitha congrats on your beautiful new addition!:D
I have to admit I'm extremely jealous:p you are amazingly lucky to have such a kind friend who would buy you something so thoughtful:)
enjoy your gorgeous new little beauty!:T:
Thank you Kellie, that’s really sweet of you, and I am indeed very lucky in so many ways.
Fingers crossed she prospers. Fingers crossed she’s also a she!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Wow! Congrats to that spider. How nice is that. Your setup looks great as well. Never seen a trapdoor spider that colorful! :T::):)
Thank you, I hope of course I do well with her, I know experienced keepers can lose them but I do look forward to when it’s adult and I can make up another enclosure with more lichen covered branches and maybe live planted even with broms.
:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a lovely gift. I have been eyeing these for ages now but never took the plunge in getting one so I am somewhat envious right now but really pleased you have one of these beautiful spiders. I think Aurora is a great choice of name too :)
Congrats.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a lovely gift. I have been eaying these for ages now but never took the plunge in getting one so I am somewhat envious right now but really pleased you have one of these beautiful spiders. I think Aurora is a great choice of name too :)
Congrats.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
What a lovely gift. I have been eaying these for ages now but never took the plunge in getting one so I am somewhat envious right now but really pleased you have one of these beautiful spiders. I think Aurora is a great choice of name too :)
Congrats.
Thank you Phil, thank you for such nice comments, I must admit it’s a tremendous responsibility in many ways having her and I am not an experienced keeper!
When I see videos on youtube with really experienced keepers saying oh no it died I was like..:eek::confused: but I just have to do my best and it shows as with all slings it can be the luck of the draw sometimes. I’ve calmed down a bit about her now she’s molted and she has a fan near her and good ventilation so I’m hoping I will witness her feed soon.
You’ll have to get one, then maybe we can start a breeding project!
Thank you again! :T:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you Phil, thank you for such nice comments, I must admit it’s a tremendous responsibility in many ways having her and I am not an experienced keeper!
When I see videos on youtube with really experienced keepers saying oh no it died I was like..:eek::confused: but I just have to do my best and it shows as with all slings it can be the luck of the draw sometimes. I’ve calmed down a bit about her now she’s molted and she has a fan near her and good ventilation so I’m hoping I will witness her feed soon.
You’ll have to get one, then maybe we can start a breeding project!
Thank you again! :T:
there is so much said about ventilation and the care needs on these you are right. The cost as well as specific care needs have put a lot of people off. They are absolutely stunning that is for sure. The Polish guys tend to bring a few along to the main shows in the UK and I think Creatures of the north are selling atm so no doubt I will be tempted! ha ha
Please keep us all updated as your experience of a keeper of one of these will be invaluable. Can I also be friends with your American pal? ha ha.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks @Phil yes, I will hopefully be able to give good news and good updates, and I’ve researched so much, Palp friction has a good caresheet for starters for me but I guess you always have to adapt for the situation you yourself are keeping it in, certainly I am more relaxed knowing she has this lucky reptile Terra fan going, it’s so low powered but enough for air flow I hope, I can’t tell you how many hours I spend staring at a piece of lichen!
I think there are a few more around like you say, I’d love to get a pair! That would be amazing!

Sorry though.....my American pal is spoken for!!! :D:p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Phil yes, I will hopefully be able to give good news and good updates, and I’ve researched so much, Palp friction has a good caresheet for starters for me but I guess you always have to adapt for the situation you yourself are keeping it in, certainly I am more relaxed knowing she has this lucky reptile Terra fan going, it’s so low powered but enough for air flow I hope, I can’t tell you how many hours I spend staring at a piece of lichen!
I think there are a few more around like you say, I’d love to get a pair! That would be amazing!

Sorry though.....my American pal is spoken for!!! :D:p
bummer! I have an American friend but don't think she has one to give me....LOL
I look forward to your "Aurora diary" ...that's your new thread title for you right there :)

Latest posts