• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ping Pong Balls.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have just brought a few multi coloured ping pong balls off ebay for my larger T's. A couple like to play with their water dishes & I thought a small ball would give them something else to move around. Farmers have been doing it for decades with cows & pigs etc. So I thought for a few £'s it was worth the try.

Anyone else doing this? And what do you use in small enclosures?

timc

3 Year Member
I do not but I’ve heard about people that do for many years. I imagine it’s pretty fun to see where it’s ended up in the morning after they’ve been moving stuff all night, but it’s just not something I really ever think about.

Phototoxin

My g.rosea used to have a yellow ping pong ball. When I went to clean her water dish or tidy up she'd put a paw in it to stop me moving it. Consistently too. But she never blooded over it so I don't think she saw it as an egg sac. Who knows maybe she just liked the ball?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My g.rosea used to have a yellow ping pong ball. When I went to clean her water dish or tidy up she'd put a paw in it to stop me moving it. Consistently too.

Part of my logic, was that I have several T's who move water dishes & I thought I would try this, to see, if they did the same with the balls, if they do, I will try & find some smaller balls, for my smaller T's.

My rosea has already moved her ball into her hide.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I am another hoping to unlock tarantula intelligence with ping-pong balls :p Misty and Bellatrix have ignored theirs so far, but Nymphadora has moved hers. I do hope that was intentional ;) She has moved it to the corner where she seems to like to sit the most, I figure that's because it is nearest to the heater as many of the Ts attach themselves to that corner of their enclosure.

DSC01197 - Copy.JPG DSC02024 - Copy.JPG DSC02298 - Copy.JPG DSC02303 - Copy.JPG DSC02246 - Copy.JPGN with b - Copy.JPG

Spiders&Snakes

I am another hoping to unlock tarantula intelligence with ping-pong balls :p Misty and Bellatrix have ignored theirs so far, but Nymphadora has moved hers. I do hope that was intentional ;) She has moved it to the corner where she seems to like to sit the most, I figure that's because it is nearest to the heater as many of the Ts attach themselves to that corner of their enclosure.

View attachment 54325 View attachment 54326 View attachment 54327 View attachment 54328 View attachment 54329View attachment 54330
this is actually very interesting

i need to find somewhere that sells cheap ping pong balls

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Spiders&Snakes sorry this will work better for you...

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine are just some cheap multi coloured balls with no logos, that I found on ebay :oops: Am I letting my T's down? I am now going to find some smaller ones for my smaller T's.

Most of mine seem to ignore them, most of the time.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
There's going to be a new generation of Ts all brought up with ping-pong balls ahaha :p

I got mine from The Yorkshire Trading Company in the UK, but I think any miscellaneous shop with a kids toys/outdoor play section should have them. I was going to look in the pound shop until our local one closed.

I have only given my Ts the white balls though that I rinse before putting in, even though I have orange ones too. I don't know whether this is a valid worry but I am concerned about toxic dyes that may be on the coloured ones.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
I am bumping this conversation in an effort to keep it alive a little longer. But I have an ulterior motive. I am still working on the fourth edition of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide (yes it's been a long time coming), and am trying to amass enough new scientific and anecdotal content to include a chapter on tarantula intelligence. What started out as a ping pong ball curiosity is beginning to look like a new and completely unexpected endeavor.

So, I'm going to start a NEW THREAD and would appreciate seeing any further comments you may have "over there."

Latest posts