• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phlogius sp. "goliath" - Australian Tarantula

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was asked for ventral shots months ago but this is the first time I've seen this tarantula for months.
Going by a guide given in a thread recently my guess is male, I think I'm seeing the signs of a male that the article mentions but I'm by no means sure that I'm not imagining it. I have a disposition towards thinking it is a male just because I asked my "dealer" for something to impress my wife size-wise and if it was a female he would have given me exceptional value re size vs price.
107_cr.jpg
148_cr.jpg
103_cr.jpg
133_cr.jpg
134_cr.jpg
143_cr.jpg

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have an answer for you Dave, but that is a cool spider and thanks for the pics!
It's a nice spider, it was a present for my wife, I told the guy I buy from to surprise me with something impressive so I had no idea of what he'd sent until Belinda opened the package. Needless to say she was impressed, at 4 to 5" DLS it's our largest spider, when adult they are arguably Australias' largest tarantula, one specimen is recorded at 11" if I recall correctly. Of course this and similar species are very leggy, other species probably have a heavier/larger body but shorter legs.
Belindas' collection is comprised of a specimen of each of the four largest Australian species now, which she is happy with and I doubt she'll add to it unless it's to acquire a female of a species she has a male of.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
...which she is happy with and I doubt she'll add to it unless it's to acquire a female of a species she has a male of.

I've reached a similar point I think. I have plenty of species and all of my favorites are represented. I've sold off the ones that weren't super interesting for me, and I have multiples of my top favorites.

Man, I love this hobby. I get so much enjoyment from my tarantulas. I can't even begin to explain it to people who aren't into them, so its great to have this community of people who "get it".

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've reached a similar point I think. I have plenty of species and all of my favorites are represented. I've sold off the ones that weren't super interesting for me, and I have multiples of my top favorites.

Man, I love this hobby. I get so much enjoyment from my tarantulas. I can't even begin to explain it to people who aren't into them, so its great to have this community of people who "get it".
You oughta try explaining taking up ant keeping at 48!

kalabatu

I was asked for ventral shots months ago but this is the first time I've seen this tarantula for months.
Going by a guide given in a thread recently my guess is male, I think I'm seeing the signs of a male that the article mentions but I'm by no means sure that I'm not imagining it. I have a disposition towards thinking it is a male just because I asked my "dealer" for something to impress my wife size-wise and if it was a female he would have given me exceptional value re size vs price.View attachment 34511 View attachment 34512 View attachment 34513 View attachment 34514 View attachment 34515 View attachment 34516
Anyway, what do you guys think?

Hey
Just wondering who your supplier is? I am in NSW and travelling 2 hours tomorrow to look at a couple - would be nice to find a supplier willing to post!!!

Latest posts