• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Peripatus sp. Velvet Worm

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My son has just ordered one and I wondered if anyone had any experience of them. It's all well and good reading about them on the web but experience is always best

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I noticed spidershop have velvetworms for sale. I'm guessing thats where he's getting them from? I'm sure I saw a velvet worm on Brave wilderness and he said they were rare in the wild so I don't think too much is know about them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I noticed spidershop have velvetworms for sale. I'm guessing thats where he's getting them from? I'm sure I saw a velvet worm on Brave wilderness and he said they were rare in the wild so I don't think too much is know about them.

Yes, it's coming from TSS.
All I can find are articles about conservation. I know they like damp conditions and rotting wood (he's found some in a hedge bottom), they will eat small crickets and live around 5 years.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The little Velvet Worm has arrived. It's around 1.5" and seems pretty active.
DSCF7803 (2).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well this little creature has me intrigued. My son rehoused it today into a slightly larger container (a 4" cube) it is currently waving a ball of something white which we presume is a cricket that it had already caught and disabled and is now eating.
Apparently they eject streams of a substance which hardens around the still live insect to disable it before sucking the food out.

DSCF7841.JPG

DSCF7842 (2).JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are pretty amazing, I watched a few videos on them when you first mentioned your son was getting one. They shoot sticky stuff that looks like crazy string.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are pretty amazing, I watched a few videos on them when you first mentioned your son was getting one. They shoot sticky stuff that looks like crazy string.

Yes, I've not seen it do that yet. I'm just pleased my son hasn't taken it upstairs yet as it gives me chance to watch it.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
They are certainly oddities that have survived 520 million years.
Have you seen it shoot out its sploochy mouth slime stuff to catch prey yet?

Everything about them is just so biologically different than any other species I can think of. I've never seen these for sale here. I wonder if we have them here or if they are legal or not. I'd love to try one out and see what they are like.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
tardigrade-001.jpg
I agree, they were dropped off along with the tartigrades!
These look cool too but you'd need a microscope to watch them. I have thought that if I get a digital microscope and camera I might search for these, they live in water that sits on moss and are about 1mm long. I watched a documentary on a guy who made it his (later) lives work to study them. They have proven that they can survive in space and could have come on/in a meteor.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have you seen it shoot out its sploochy mouth slime stuff to catch prey yet?

Everything about them is just so biologically different than any other species I can think of. I've never seen these for sale here. I wonder if we have them here or if they are legal or not. I'd love to try one out and see what they are like.

No I haven't seen it shoot it out yet, love that word sploochy :D

View attachment 33334 I agree, they were dropped off along with the tartigrades!
These look cool too but you'd need a microscope to watch them. I have thought that if I get a digital microscope and camera I might search for these, they live in water that sits on moss and are about 1mm long. I watched a documentary on a guy who made it his (later) lives work to study them. They have proven that they can survive in space and could have come on/in a meteor.

That looks as though someone has made it out of a piece of material and not stuffed it properly :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, the little Worm has been here 10 days and has certainly fascinated us. It has burrowed a little but seems to prefer to chill on the top of its moss. We spray it at least once a day which Worm seems to really enjoy. Generally the movements are quite slow but it can move fast when it wants to although shows no fear of us humans. It seems to eat well, it's fed 2 tiny crickets every couple of days. A very interesting pet :)

Just after spraying
DSCF7922 (3).JPG