• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Parahybana or striatipes?

Marija

3 Year Member
So guys, I could use a little help :)
I introduced my parahybana already... She was given to my by a good friend as a gift and he said that it's a parahybana so I went with that. As a new owner I browsed a lot of photos to see how big she gets etc. and saw that parahybanas are really dark but mine is more a grey color and I thought it's ok, they can't be all the same in color maybe. After doing some research and after looking through photos I'm not sure anymore if it's a parahybana or striatipes! Parahybana is dark charcoal grey with reddish pink hairs on the abdomen and striatipes is smoke grey colored with red hairs over the abdomen.
Could my T be a striatipes and not a parahybana as I was told?
Thanks!

IMG_1994.JPG

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size is your LP?

They generally don't start getting those salmon-colored hairs and that dark overall coloration until they get into their young adult stage. I have four right now, and my two smaller ones (3" and around 4") look just like the one in your photo. My big female didn't sport her adult coloration until she hit around 5" or so. They tend to start out more of a brownish-gray when younger, then darken up as they mature.

Marija

3 Year Member
What size is your LP?

They generally don't start getting those salmon-colored hairs and that dark overall coloration until they get into their young adult stage. I have four right now, and my two smaller ones (3" and around 4") look just like the one in your photo. My big female didn't sport her adult coloration until she hit around 5" or so. They tend to start out more of a brownish-gray when younger, then darken up as they mature.
She is almost 7 inches, bit more than 5 years old.
She has salmon-colored hairs on her abdomen. Those two species are so similar that I'm not sure anymore which one is she :D

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's a big girl then! Has she molted for you yet? I'd be curious to see if she darkens up after her next molt. :)

Last edited:

Marija

3 Year Member
She's a big girl then! Has she molted for you yet?
Yeah, a big girl indeed :) She molted maybe 6-7 months ago at my friends house, I got her 2 months ago.
She has a small bald spot on her abdomen now so I think I can expect a molt soon. She's still eating like crazy, munched down two large dubia roaches the other day and pooped all over the glass :D haha

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, a big girl indeed :) She molted maybe 6-7 months ago at my friends house, I got her 2 months ago.
She has a small bald spot on her abdomen now so I think I can expect a molt soon. She's still eating like crazy, munched down two large dubia roaches the other day and pooped all over the glass :D haha
Sounds like my LP ;) She eats right up until the day before she flips over to molt. I'm always surprised when she molts. No loss of appetite or other visible signs like my Brachy's and my other Lisodora (itabunae). My LP is an oddball ;)

Either way if it's an LP or an L. striatipes they're a great T to have :D

Telson

3 Year Member
Ive found that Lasiodora parahybana, like many species, come in slightly different shades, whether its regional or just slight changes before or after a molt, I don't know. I find it difficult to tell a few of the species apart. My dificilis looks like my Lp, to me. But its only 3 inches or so. It can be very hard to tell sometimes. The pic you posted looks like an Lp to me, but im not an expert in the field. I can, however, identify what brand of vodka im drinking merely by the taste. :p

Marija

3 Year Member
Sounds like my LP ;) She eats right up until the day before she flips over to molt. I'm always surprised when she molts. No loss of appetite or other visible signs like my Brachy's and my other Lisodora (itabunae). My LP is an oddball ;)

Either way if it's an LP or an L. striatipes they're a great T to have :D
I agree, she's awesome. When you think, she and I have a lot in common: we both never refuse food haha :D
When I first got her I was excited too see how she catches the prey etc. you know, newbie stuff :) so I gave her a lot of food. In those few days she ate 5 large superworms, 2 crickets and a pinky. I don't know where she put all that. I now feed her every two weeks. She got fat :D

Marija

3 Year Member
Ive found that Lasiodora parahybana, like many species, come in slightly different shades, whether its regional or just slight changes before or after a molt, I don't know. I find it difficult to tell a few of the species apart. My dificilis looks like my Lp, to me. But its only 3 inches or so. It can be very hard to tell sometimes. The pic you posted looks like an Lp to me, but im not an expert in the field. I can, however, identify what brand of vodka im drinking merely by the taste. :p
Well, I'll just go with parahybana as I did in the past.
About the vodka... To identify what brand is it merely by taste, that is a real talent :D They all taste the same to me: like vodka haha

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I'll just go with parahybana as I did in the past.
About the vodka... To identify what brand is it merely by taste, that is a real talent :D They all taste the same to me: like vodka haha
Not all, there's a definite difference in taste between them, it's easy to tell Grey Goose from Sky Blue or Absolut, but if you really want a good vodka (and want to pay for it ;)) try Svedka. Ketel One is another of my favorites, but it's hard for me to tell apart from Absolut and Grey Goose.

I got a bottle as a gift a while back, can't think of the brand off hand, it's not one we have locally, bottle had dimples, for lack of a better term, one the sides. The bottle was (supposedly) designed by Tiffany & Co. and for the price i was told it cost it was believable. It was pretty cool, I was almost tempted to keep the bottle and vodka just to look at, but you can't just look at vodka, it's a major sin :p After i emptied the bottle i put it up on a shelf out of the way, and a friend of mine came over and saw it and dropped it while he checking it out :( he was stone sober too.

Marija

3 Year Member
Not all, there's a definite difference in taste between them, it's easy to tell Grey Goose from Sky Blue or Absolut, but if you really want a good vodka (and want to pay for it ;)) try Svedka. Ketel One is another of my favorites, but it's hard for me to tell apart from Absolut and Grey Goose.

I got a bottle as a gift a while back, can't think of the brand off hand, it's not one we have locally, bottle had dimples, for lack of a better term, one the sides. The bottle was (supposedly) designed by Tiffany & Co. and for the price i was told it cost it was believable. It was pretty cool, I was almost tempted to keep the bottle and vodka just to look at, but you can't just look at vodka, it's a major sin :p After i emptied the bottle i put it up on a shelf out of the way, and a friend of mine came over and saw it and dropped it while he checking it out :( he was stone sober too.
I'm not into vodka much. Got wasted one time so hard by drinking vodka that now I'm disgusted by simply smelling it :D
I'm more of a whiskey or tequila person. I have a wish to try Patron tequila but you can't find it anywhere, I'd have to order online and I'd have to order 10 bottles to be shipped.
It's a shame your friend broke the bottle, I like to keep nice bottles to :) I like crystal bottles for liquor so I keep a crystal bottle filled with homemade fig schnapps and two crystal glasses on my dresser in the living room to take a sip when I come home from work :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not into vodka much. Got wasted one time so hard by drinking vodka that now I'm disgusted by simply smelling it :D
I'm more of a whiskey or tequila person. I have a wish to try Patron tequila but you can't find it anywhere, I'd have to order online and I'd have to order 10 bottles to be shipped.
It's a shame your friend broke the bottle, I like to keep nice bottles to :) I like crystal bottles for liquor so I keep a crystal bottle filled with homemade fig schnapps and two crystal glasses on my dresser in the living room to take a sip when I come home from work :)
Patron is good. You should try Cabo Wabo tequila also. It's a nice smooth sipping tequila, distilled by Sammy Hagar ;)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I agree, she's awesome. When you think, she and I have a lot in common: we both never refuse food haha :D
When I first got her I was excited too see how she catches the prey etc. you know, newbie stuff :) so I gave her a lot of food. In those few days she ate 5 large superworms, 2 crickets and a pinky. I don't know where she put all that. I now feed her every two weeks. She got fat :D
I have 5 LP's and they all are slightly different shades and some lighter some darker. None are that big yet. My biggest is only about 4". I love these. I hold my largest all the time and it's so calm and relaxed it's amazing. I'll take these over T blondi anytime.

Marija

3 Year Member
I have 5 LP's and they all are slightly different shades and some lighter some darker. None are that big yet. My biggest is only about 4". I love these. I hold my largest all the time and it's so calm and relaxed it's amazing. I'll take these over T blondi anytime.
My girl is a little big for my hand and she tends to move very quickly so I'm not 100% comfortable holding her :D
I held her twice but I'm still new to this hobby so it takes a little time to get used to her :)

Latest posts