• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pallid roaches.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Anyone keep Pallid Roaches (Phoetalia pallida)? I recently got a starter colony & they are so fast, that they make an old world T look slow.

I am having to put the enclosure into the fridge before I do anything, otherwise just taking the lid off results in 15minutes of roach catching as I try to get the lid back on without loosing any.

My logic in getting the pallid is that they are faster & thus trigger a better feeding response & also they are smaller, so will make a good species to feed to juvi's & even slings.

testdasi

Anyone keep Pallid Roaches (Phoetalia pallida)? I recently got a starter colony & they are so fast, that they make an old world T look slow.

I am having to put the enclosure into the fridge before I do anything, otherwise just taking the lid off results in 15minutes of roach catching as I try to get the lid back on without loosing any.

My logic in getting the pallid is that they are faster & thus trigger a better feeding response & also they are smaller, so will make a good species to feed to juvi's & even slings.

I see roach + "climbing" / "flying" and scratch them off. Last thing I want is an infestation. You could have picked easier-to-manage species like Turkistan aka Red Runners (blatta lateralis).

For slings, you can raise isopods colony. The slings will happily eat them if they are the right size (and given isopods come in all sorts of sizes, it's rather easy to find the right one.
Alternatively, cut-up mealworms have always been working.

For juvies, chop of the head of dubia roaches and you can just drop-and-forget.

Latest posts