• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. pulcher sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Got a few new slings from PNW today, this one is a 3/4-1" Psalmopotheus pulcher.

Setup is a 24oz deli cup with cork bark, leaves and moss on top of about an inch of (coco fiber, peat moss, shredded sphagnum and play sand) in a non-avic orientation with ventilation holes all around and top.

Upon unboxing/rehousing it scrambled to hide in it's new enclosure but just an hour later it was out exploring.

I'll feed it after a day or so. Here are a few pics
IMG_20200410_155528.jpg

IMG_20200410_170154.jpg

IMG_20200410_161240.jpg

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's hard not to obsess over these guys, especially when new and cute.

Sorry for **** posting mundane "updates" like feedings. It's not for attention, it's my keeper's journal ;)
I may need to start keeping a spreadsheet at this point...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's hard not to obsess over these guys, especially when new and cute.

Sorry for **** posting mundane "updates" like feedings. It's not for attention, it's my keeper's journal ;)
I may need to start keeping a spreadsheet at this point...
It's your thread...your journal.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feeding this evening and I made the rookie mistake of giving Paula the pulcher too large of a roach nymph.

She initially darted out at the roach, tagged it and retreated just as fast. She did this two more times as I prodded the roach back towards the T with a paperclip prodder through the vent holes but to no avail.

Then, to make matters worse for Paula, I tried to get the roach out and freaked her out. She is now hiding in her "I'm not really even here" pose. Ugh.

I ended up crushing the roach with my tongs by accident and it burrowed itself into the moss, so yeah, it's probably gonna die in there. Maybe she will find it. Not a great day for Paula and I.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding this evening and I made the rookie mistake of giving Paula the pulcher too large of a roach nymph.

She initially darted out at the roach, tagged it and retreated just as fast. She did this two more times as I prodded the roach back towards the T with a paperclip prodder through the vent holes but to no avail.

Then, to make matters worse for Paula, I tried to get the roach out and freaked her out. She is now hiding in her "I'm not really even here" pose. Ugh.

I ended up crushing the roach with my tongs by accident and it burrowed itself into the moss, so yeah, it's probably gonna die in there. Maybe she will find it. Not a great day for Paula and I.
We've all done it at some point with Ts that are 'greedy feeders' at least you have crushed it a bit now.. So she may still take it down now it's a bit easier for her - it won't harm her so that's the main thing :) an eventful feeding by the sound of it lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Paula molted last night :T:

Caught her on her back when I went to bed and this morning, all done.

IMG_20200513_072151.jpgIMG_20200513_072208.jpg

Pics are hard to see anything because of so much webbing.

I will retrieve the exo later today and take more pics

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've been really impressed with the webbing P. pulcher has created, it's literally like scaffolding on a construction site that runs halfway around the enclosure.

It started with a burrow from the corkbark's edge along the side of the enclosure up to the lid and it created a dirt hide on the left side, see below, that I have never actually seen it use.

On the right side it has constructed a web-platform that runs counterclockwise from the burrow about a third of the way around to the end of the foliage. Inside the platform it has built at least 2 web partition walls, almost like alcoves. It has like 4 places it can retreat to and it uses all of them!

This sling is super skittish and teleports to it's burrow, and then spastically doesn't know where to go when I open its enclosure. We have both come to an agreement that when I open, it remains still, so maintenance and feeding is kinda easy - I just don't remove the lid completely.
IMG_20200604_065054.jpgIMG_20200604_065035.jpg

I fed it a medium cricket last night for the first time (usually just roaches) and it literally jumped across the web-platform to nail it. I was not ready to video that but it was spectacular!

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
I almost had myself a P. pulcher but with not knowing if the highway was shutdown due to current events I cannot make it to the T breeder who is selling them.

I believe these are arboreal and quite a very nice T to own. Skittish as normal when young and pretty docile as adult.

Right now I need/want P. pulcher, E. campestratus, G. pulchripes, B. emilia, (female only) and C. versicolor.

Eventually I will get these, hopefully before I get any older and die.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
P pulcher molting right now
PXL_20210109_152716904.MP.jpg

I'll try to retrieve the exo later today or tomorrow and will have to rehouse her

Latest posts