• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Murinus DCF vs P. Chordatus

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
Hi guys, recently purchased 2 inch juvenile a P. chordatus "mustard baboon" . It looks extremely similar if not identical to my P. Murinus dark colour form which is a slightly larger juvenile at three inches. Maybe the mustard baboon will gain it's colouration in a few moults time, but for now I'm wondering if there are any particularly defining features? Here's a fairly poor photo of the P. Chordatus.
DSC_0667.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im not a Pterinochilus guy but some members/admins here are..@Enn49, help me out here..in reply to the op, any Pterinochilus will look similar, while growing, at least thats the case with most other genera...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have both and the Pterinochilus chordates is darker whereas the Pterinochilus murinus Tete has more orange tints.

Pterinochilus chordates
dscf6957-jpg.31703

Pterinochilus murinus Tete
dscf6064-2-jpg.30452

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
Screenshot_20180718-002445.png
I have both and the Pterinochilus chordates is darker whereas the Pterinochilus murinus Tete has more orange tints.

Pterinochilus chordates
dscf6957-jpg.31703

Pterinochilus murinus Tete
dscf6064-2-jpg.30452
I thought that dark colour with the orange tint was the Usambara colour form? I could definitely be wrong though. Here's a photo of what I believe to be my DCF p. Murinus - just to clarify this enclosure was the one I bought her in, it's now in a much more appropriate enclosure . Sadly this is the best photo I've got of it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The Tete is from the Tete Province in Mozambique whereas the Usambara is from the Usambara Mountains of northeastern Tanzania, so not quite the same thing. The dark colour form is the more commonly found in the wild.
They all start off as dark brown slings, even the Usambara, only developing their colours as they grow.

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
The Tete is from the Tete Province in Mozambique whereas the Usambara is from the Usambara Mountains of northeastern Tanzania, so not quite the same thing. The dark colour form is the more commonly found in the wild.
They all start off as dark brown slings, even the Usambara, only developing their colours as they grow.

I guess it'll just be a waiting game to see if they both change significantly into adult life.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Hi guys, recently purchased 2 inch juvenile a P. chordatus "mustard baboon" . It looks extremely similar if not identical to my P. Murinus dark colour form which is a slightly larger juvenile at three inches. Maybe the mustard baboon will gain it's colouration in a few moults time, but for now I'm wondering if there are any particularly defining features? Here's a fairly poor photo of the P. Chordatus. View attachment 31970
Both species look significantly different.

Could you post a photo pf your P. murinus DCF? Was it labelled with a locality?

Your P. chordatus looks right.

The screenshot you posted further down is an adult P. chordatus, not P. murinus

Tfghvghxhjj

3 Year Member
Both species look significantly different.

Could you post a photo pf your P. murinus DCF? Was it labelled with a locality?

Your P. chordatus looks right.

The screenshot you posted further down is an adult P. chordatus, not P. murinus

I'm away this weekend, I'll try and get a decent photo on Sunday if it's out. The two photos I've uploaded are two different tarantulas - first one is the P. Chordatus, the second one where it's in the white box was labelled as p.murinus . It actually had obt on the box but it clearly isn't! It was bought from a exotic animal shop who usually (emphasis on usually) advertise them correctly.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
I'm away this weekend, I'll try and get a decent photo on Sunday if it's out. The two photos I've uploaded are two different tarantulas - first one is the P. Chordatus, the second one where it's in the white box was labelled as p.murinus . It actually had obt on the box but it clearly isn't! It was bought from a exotic animal shop who usually (emphasis on usually) advertise them correctly.
Ok. Yes please do. That would be better to understand what you have.

But I can say both of those photos are P. chordatus 100%

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Pterinochilus chordatus - adult female
CF4C6212-EB8A-449D-B8C5-771433F91DD7.jpeg

Pterinochilus murinus DCF (Kigoma)
790E8691-9EEC-400B-8EC7-0A825026E3E4.jpeg

Pterinochilus murinus DCF (Botswana/Zimbabwe)
25E13D05-A174-4AFA-93EA-FD36D24C765E.png

Latest posts