• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ornata sling suspected male

Logan D

3 Year Member
20181211_172313.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The spinnerets between the rear most legs, the ones in pairs create the sperm web. Females don't have these.

P ornata sexed enhanced.jpg

See the straight line between the rear legs? Where it spreads out just starts to do so, those 2 black dots are sperm web spinnerettes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The spinnerets between the rear most legs, the ones in pairs create the sperm web. Females don't have these.

View attachment 34162

See the straight line between the rear legs? Where it spreads out just starts to do so, those 2 black dots are sperm web spinnerettes.
Epigastric glands do not create sperm webs. Its function is still unknown but it is believed to secret a small amount of liqiud silk to aid the sperm to stick to the web. A males actual spinerets create the sperm web.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

3 Year Member

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just read through that, great info if it has indeed stood the test of time, as I assume it has. I'm not going to pick up my spiders to practice but photos will be useful I hope, until now I assumed that slings could not be reliably sexed.
Thanks for the link, I don't know why I hadn't come across this before, I've been asked for ventral pics but "give a man a fish...".

Latest posts