• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ok I have a question

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
My friend is getting aphonopelma crinirufum. He does not know what enclosure size to get, the humidity , and its lifestyle (burrowing, aborea, terrestrial), Please help him!

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
I would treat is like any other Aphonopelma species. Deep substrate as they are obligate burrowers. Moisten the deep, bottom layer of the substrate.
Enclosure size depends on the size of the specimen. Same rules apply as any other spider. No more than 1.5x DLS in height to minimize fall risk.
Really simple searches will provide info on how to keep Aphonopelma species.

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
I would treat is like any other Aphonopelma species. Deep substrate as they are obligate burrowers. Moisten the deep, bottom layer of the substrate.
Enclosure size depends on the size of the specimen. Same rules apply as any other spider. No more than 1.5x DLS in height to minimize fall risk.
Really simple searches will provide info on how to keep Aphonopelma species.
Ya I was going to say the same but my friend doesn’t really trust me after I trolled him XD

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The general rule of thumb for enclosure sizes for terrestrial species is fairly basic, notwithstanding obligate burrowers.

4x leg span enclosure width/length and 1.5-2x DLS climbing height is reasonably spacious for a sling/juvenile of just about any species. Burrowers will appreciate deeper substrate but you may never see them if you accommodate them 100%

Once you get the basic husbandry right, much with how your T does in it's enclosure depends on individual personally, I've found.

My A chalcodes burrowed immediately and remained burrowed for months until it morphed into a bulldozer. It's in heavy premolt now but basically plays upstairs downstairs with a split level setup.

I have T vagans that do the same, burrow and play hide and seek, and T albopilosus that are always out like fuzzy stuffed animals waiting for their ward to return home from school.

I have a bunch of C lividius that stay burrowed only appearing to eat and a G pulchripes that is afraid of its own shadow. 2 of my 4 P murinus are shy and 2 are bold.

Don't get me started on arboreals...

Latest posts