• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oh man... too many baby crickets!

TaTaTula5

Hey guys, the new owner who got a cobalt blue a few months ago.
Well everything's been going fine, abdomen has bulked out, nice burrow made and regurly drinks etc. However this is the new issue.... I obviously without realising it put a gravid cricket in her tank.... it hid. I thought she got it, now there are hundreds of baby god damn crickets emerging and this spider is NOT happy. This ever happened to anyone else!? How the hell do I sort this? Urgent help please guys

Tnoob

I would remove the T, and if everything is good, I would bake the enclosure. About 200 degrees F, and for about 2 hours. Otherwise I would just rehouse the T normally, new substrate, and everything.

TaTaTula5

Thankyou for replying @Tnoob Yeah I've bought a new enclosure tonight and to be honest with added knowledge about a better tank set up its going to be better all round I think. However I know this is really stressful for my T, only got her 2 and a half months ago, I hope she will be okay as I know I haven't got a choice but to move her. This may sound really stupid, ( aslong as there is no eggs! ) shall i take some of her web into the new terrarium!? Most importantly, She's a Cobalt Blue, how an earth to I rehouse her? safely and less stressfully for her? Any advice please?

Tnoob

I wouldn't bother with it personally. I should let you know that my first T won't be here until friday night. This is just what I would do if I was in your possition.

TaTaTula5

You wouldn't bother with moving the T? I thought you said recommend moving the T haha oh man. Well poor thing must be so annoyed so think I will have to, wish me luck

Tnoob

You wouldn't bother with moving the T? I thought you said recommend moving the T haha oh man. Well poor thing must be so annoyed so think I will have to, wish me luck
I wouldn't bother with baking the enclosure if I had a new one.

Luna

3 Year Member
Hi! Sorry to hear about your situation!

Safely transfering the cobalt will be.... lets just say exciting!:)

I've heard in the past of owners having both their tanks in a bathtub with smooth sides, so they'll be contained in a bolt scenario.

Also, always have a catch cup on hand!

I've never heard of web transfer, but perhaps someone else can chime in. It should be fine to softly plop her in there with her fixtures/decorations.

If you have already transferred, hope it went well!

I owned a Cobalt recently and although nerve wrecking on occasion, just give them due respect and always have some sort of 'safety net' for unexpected bolts!:)

GermanGamer7

As far as I can tell, here's how to tell gender: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/Blaptica-Dubia-****roaches-x3-male-female-juvenile-v2.jpg/320px-Blaptica-Dubia-****roaches-x3-male-female-juvenile-v2.jpg
I do not own this image. The Wikimedia Foundation owns all rights to this image.

GermanGamer7

If it's not obvious, females have wing stumps and males have full-blown wings.
I quote Wikipedia on Blaptica dubia:
"They are sexually dimorphic; adult males have full wings covering their body, while females have only tiny wing stubs, their tegmina (forewings) being around a fourth of their body length."
Hope this helps <3

Tnoob

If it's not obvious, females have wing stumps and males have full-blown wings.
I quote Wikipedia on Blaptica dubia:
"They are sexually dimorphic; adult males have full wings covering their body, while females have only tiny wing stubs, their tegmina (forewings) being around a fourth of their body length."

Hope this helps <3
Yeah, I've been thinking about breeding the Dubia roaches, they can actualy turn a profit in my area without to much work. Not sure about crickets though. Can't stand the things, and Iv'e noticed there a more attention paid to the dubia than the crickets.

TaTaTula5

I'm thinking of switching up to roaches too. If I feed crickets just going to make sure they're male!!
Also interesting about the roaches! Yeah successfully they all drowned!
And thankyou also @Luna haven't yet done it, I still want to though even though the little crickets aren't a problem ... the enclosure is much better! However have the feeling in a premolt so leaving be for the time being!

Tnoob

I'm thinking of switching up to roaches too. If I feed crickets just going to make sure they're male!!
Also interesting about the roaches! Yeah successfully they all drowned!
And thankyou also @Luna haven't yet done it, I still want to though even though the little crickets aren't a problem ... the enclosure is much better! However have the feeling in a premolt so leaving be for the time being!
Good luck on your molt.

Latest posts