• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nursing a neglected B. hamorri back to health

Cnidarianfarmer

So I found someones CL ad that said they were getting out of the hobby and had a adult female Brachypelma emilia, a male adult/ suspect penultimate B. hamorii and a adult female P. sazimai up for adoption, as well as a large green banana roach colony.
When I inquired about the asking price I was rather suprised/skeptical as it was less than three hundred beans for all of it.
He lived only 50min away and that deal was too good to pass up. So yesterday I met the seller and both the B. emilia and P. sazimai looked healthy/ beautiful. The B. hamorii male on the other hand looked pretty rough and almost on the brink of death curl, I didn't have much hope he would last another few days
The enclosures they were in were very dirty, had dry bark chips/ mulch and bone dry water dishes, I could tell they had been neglected for a while.

As soon as I got them home I put in an appropriate water dish/ water, with in a matter of minutes the B. hamorii and B. emilia went straight to the water, the B. hamorii spent almost an hour with his head dunked in the water.

B. emilia
20210704_120531.jpg

P. sazimai
20210704_092250.jpg

B. hamorii on deaths door

20210703_161506.jpg

20210703_164109.jpg

Obviously very dehydrated, and today he looks a little bit better but in general still looks pretty bad also noticed, has what looks like a partially regenerated leg, I have offered a cricket and a discoid both he refused. Been spending most of his time primping the past day.
I have always been more of an old world keeper and while I have had some grammys, these two are my first Brachypelmas.

Any advice on getting this boy back into shape ? Would hornworms be a good offering to help rehydrate and help him put on some more size ?
I want to rehouse him but dont want to put more stress on him ATM,

TIA

Attachments

• 20210704_124121.jpg
    20210704_124121.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27

timc

3 Year Member
Awesome save. I’d say just keep doing what you’re doing. Try feeding again in a week and keep water available. He’s a real pretty boy, I can’t tell by the pictures but he looks to have maybe already hooked out; I could be very wrong though. Good luck prolonging his life! I love the emilia too.

Cnidarianfarmer

Awesome save. I’d say just keep doing what you’re doing. Try feeding again in a week and keep water available. He’s a real pretty boy, I can’t tell by the pictures but he looks to have maybe already hooked out; I could be very wrong though. Good luck prolonging his life! I love the emilia too.
I took a good look at him and unless B. hamorii's hooks are really discreet I dont think he has.?

Jenniferinfl

I'm glad you bought them- I texted the guy and was going to pick them up, but, I was deeply concerned about their condition based on the photos he sent. My spouse jumped my case about spending more than $200 on some T's that could be at death's door. I've been refreshing that ad for two weeks now feeling guilty that I couldn't spend the money to get them out of that situation.

Glad you got them and relieved that two of the T's don't look that bad. The guy only sent me a clear shot of the emilia and she looked awfully hunched, plus, I figured anyone keeping them like that probably didn't conclusively know the gender.

I was worried they'd finally died or something and that's why the ad was down. If it was still up in 2 days when I got paid again I was just going to pick them up and let spouse be mad at me.. lol

Cnidarianfarmer

I'm glad you bought them- I texted the guy and was going to pick them up, but, I was deeply concerned about their condition based on the photos he sent. My spouse jumped my case about spending more than $200 on some T's that could be at death's door. I've been refreshing that ad for two weeks now feeling guilty that I couldn't spend the money to get them out of that situation.

Glad you got them and relieved that two of the T's don't look that bad. The guy only sent me a clear shot of the emilia and she looked awfully hunched, plus, I figured anyone keeping them like that probably didn't conclusively know the gender.

I was worried they'd finally died or something and that's why the ad was down. If it was still up in 2 days when I got paid again I was just going to pick them up and let spouse be mad at me.. lol

Despite the poor condition they were lept in the emilia and sazimai look pretty healthy and ate right away.

He was upfront abput the hamorii being close to death. Definitely a case of neglect, Still not sure if I can pull him out of it, but Im happy to try.

Latest posts