• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not feeding

KIA_PETE

I know.. I know its like the age old question and could be 1000 things. I am aware some times T's just stop feeding.

However my davus is not eating and has not eaten in over 3months which i find a worrying time frame as its only about 7cm leg span juvenile

Its drinking frequently iv tried squishing my roaches heads and leaving them out. some times they have gone other times not. but after having a small clean out, iv found there corpses buried as they tend to stay alive for days after squishing them so im not sure if she has eaten one or not.

the only time iv think she's fed is when she attacked in aggression then accidentally just continued to eat however i have not managed that again.

i keep trying to feed her every couple of days but she just goes defensive then runs off. i have tried small and large food items. i have not disturbed her for a week then tried to feed her again.
Nothing seems to work
right now i have just left a live roach in there and hoping shes a night feeder and can find it again.
Is 3 month a concerning time frame?

my room is around 24-27c with a humidity of about 55-60 which i thought was about ideal.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd leave it a week or 2 before feeding again, it's possible that dropping food in every couple of days could stress her if she's in premoult.

KIA_PETE

Update: My Davus ate for the first time!
I clean out the enclosure it had not eaten at all since i first got it.( found 1 live and a couple dead roaches which i though it had eaten over the last 4 months)

So decided to add about 3 new different location for it to make a den and that must of been the trick. i think it wasn't happy with its accommodation.
its been hiding and made a nice home under a new bit of cork bark, webbed all gaps shut with leaf litter and moss. it also has been coming out from under it to explore which it had not done before. so i though id try feeding it and boom took it first time. It now wandering around with its meal webbing my terrarium up
I actually celebrated out loud!

Last edited:

KIA_PETE

Random update, my davus molted a few weeks ago. It is TINY! compared to my GGB which is an unstoppable eating, molting machine.
I got them both on 19/09/2018 both exactly the same size.
My GGB is now 5.5inches and has molted 4 or 5 times.
The davus on the other hand has eaten only twice since my last post and again today and is about its gone from a huge 7cm leg span ish to about a 8cm leg span....

I reshuffled its living accommodation again a few days ago because its just webbed everything shut under some cork bark AGAIN and where it has stayed pretty much since my last post also.
After the reshuffle, it made a new home then webbed its self shut again to my frustration.
I came home today and there was a wide open hole in its den... so decided to try and feed it, always keeping some smaller food items in reserve boom took it down aggressively, hopefully its a sign of things to come. last time i had to do a merry old dance and took alot of attempts to get it to feed this time just dropped it in its door way and a few seconds later it was there to greet it.

Two meals in just under a year for a juvenile had me very worried.
But as you see alot for my question and as the dark den said in one of his videos. Some times tarantulas just dont want to eat.. even if they are juvenile and its true.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When you rearrange its house, that's bad. The spider is trying to make a home and you keep messing it up..I would suggest researching that. We pick up boli and spot clean for poop, we dont disturb or rearrange anything else. Webbing and tunneling is how they make a home. You're stressing your spider out when you do that.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I reshuffled its living accommodation again a few days ago because its just webbed everything shut under some cork bark AGAIN and where it has stayed pretty much since my last post also.

This is because they feel safe and comfy in a small web tent, preferably under something like cork bark. How would you like if thrown in the middle of an unknown place and after you'd be able to create a small shelter to feel comfy, someone comes and trashes and reshuffles everything around you? ;)

Some species are prolific webbers and to be happy they has to be given the chance to create their web tents that they'll slower or faster turn into a multipurpose web castle with several tunnels and openings, if the surroundings are right and supports their natural behavior.

Last edited:

KIA_PETE

This is because they feel safe and comfy in a small web tent, preferably under something like cork bark :rolleyes: How would you like if thrown in the middle of an unknown place and after you'd be able to create a small shelter to feel comfy, someone comes and trashes and reshuffles everything around you?

Some species are prolific webbers and to be happy they has to be given the chance to create their web tents that they'll slower or faster turn into a multipurpose web castle with several tunnels and openings, if the surroundings are right and supports their natural behavior.

i think i should of added more context before posting. it had spent an entire year under a cork bark no entrance, no exit or way to feed it, no way to see if it was alive as a juvineile with it being so young i had concerns for it welfare.
I think my first setup just didnt have enough features which propted move 1 where i added a bunch of stuff and it fed once then stopped. since then...

I get what you are saying, but contrary to popular belief to change seems to of worked and like you said, I think it had something to do with ""if the surroundings are right and supports their natural behavior."" its eating all the time now, exploring at night, and its new web actually has an entrance and from what i can see by me moving stuff around it has created a small tunnel net work under its den in to another feature and seems entirely more happy about things.
I didnt go in to its home just to take names and F**k sh*it up, after a year of it not eating or moving at all with no way of checking on it like i said before and no way to feed it as it had sealed everything so heavily, The only way i could see it was by lifting the cork bark roof off which was just risky and i didnt want to do, so i ended up buyin a Fiber optic camera (mission impossible style) so i could at least check on it with varied success with out causing damage to it home. which prompted the move to being with as I could see i dry curled up shell which ended up being a molt.

Last edited:

Latest posts