• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noob advise needed from Cali

Roxymachado

I've only had my tarantulas for about 3 weeks now, I'm pretty afraid of spiders but got interested by watching YouTube and jumped right in head first. I have an M. Robustum, A. Geniculata, B. Albopilosum, N. Chromatus, C. Versicolor, C. Cyaneopubescens, and one OW C. Marshalli.
This may seem like alot for a noob, but i REALLY love caring for animals and im quick to use my fingertips on the information highway(i.e. internet/forums/facebooks groups). So my questions is: my M.Robustum has spent every night for two weeks making her burrow better. When i wake up there is always fresh dirt that she brought to the surface. She stopped 2 days ago(maybe she is content with her space, don't know), today i noticed she has light layer of webbing over the entrance. It always had webbing around the hole but not over it. So its feeding day should i try feeding? Normally the prey will end up wandering down the hole and that's where she strikes. But if she is trying to cover the hole maybe she is in premolt, and i heard prey items going into the burrow is bad if this is the case. Should i attempt to feed, or not?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20181128_184447.jpg
    20181128_184447.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
When did she last eat?

@Arachnoclown made a great suggestion to another member recently: Smash the head of the cricket or roach and then toss it in there. It will still wiggle around for a while and attract the spider if she's hungry, but it won't be able to harm her during her molt this way.

If she doesn't take it, you can always toss it into another spider's enclosure.

Nice bunch of tarantulas too!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have tarantula fever, i know. Are there any must have NW

You've got a bunch of my favorites already, but I like these too:
L. parahybana - great eaters, fast growers, very easy keepers.
G. pulchra - always out and visible, super easy keepers and great eaters. One of my all time favorites. I have 10 of them.
G. pulchripes - big, pretty, easy.
Davus pentoralis - Gorgeous spiders. Look it up. Fast movers, but great eaters. So pretty.
Any of the Brachypelma. Super easy keepers and all of them are pretty. Albiceps, auratum, vagans and bohemei are some of my favorites.
Bumba cabocla - Great spiders. I can't figure out why they aren't more popular.
P. sazimai - So pretty as adults.
If you like the arboreals, look up Psalmopoeous irminia. Super fast, but so pretty. Considered by some to be an "advanced" species, if you are into that.
If you like your versicolor, check out Avicularia purpurea. Another favorite of my collection.
And my crown jewel, when you are ready to proclaim that your fear of spiders is dead forever, look up Theraphosa stirmi. They are very long-legged and their proportions and movement just make them look and seem very "spidery". They are fast and aggressive, but its amazing to watch them take prey. And they get huge. Like 15-20 gallon tank size huge. I have two, and I don't think I'll ever be without this species again. It is my "must have":
IMG_6785 copy.JPG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When a spider seals off its entrance with web or dirt I take this as a sign that they are not hungry. I wont attempt to feed a spider that isnt out in the open looking for food "hunting". Even a young sling can go weeks without feeding...theres never really a rush to feed a spider. ;)

Roxymachado

Thank you, the first 3 you mentioned are already on my list, but u definitely gave me a few to look up. Also on my list is the A. Purpurea and Lasiodora kluggi(not sure if i spelled that right).
I put a pic in my post of the webbing, can u take a look

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, the first 3 you mentioned are already on my list, but u definitely gave me a few to look up. Also on my list is the A. Purpurea and Lasiodora kluggi(not sure if i spelled that right).
I put a pic in my post of the webbing, can u take a look
I have two of the Lasiodora klugi. I find them to be nearly identical to the Lp, as far as behavior and ease of keeping. They look similar as slings too. Mine are about 1.5" and they've made little dug out burrows under their cork bark. I see them out regularly, but they quickly retreat at the slightest disturbance. They reach out from under their hides and snatch up the roaches and pull them under.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
L klugi is indeed awesome.

Also, you mentioned that you got an old world & you're a new keeper.

Do watch out for the speed. Typically when rehousing mine or even doing cage maintenance, I make a mote, another words putting the cage on styrofoam blocks surrounded by cold water. That should keep them contained if they make a run for it. Still, have at least 2 catch cups nearby.

If you're mindful, you can do just fine with OW species.

L klugi Justina 3-13-18 1.jpg

This is my L klugi.

H pulchripes Hybris adapting 2.jpg
H pulchripes what sex 1.jpg

These two above are my H pulchripes, a pricey but good first old world.

He matured out because he turned out to be male, but I got 2 Poecilotheria vittata slings (suspect male & suspect female) just before the interstate ban kicked in as a trade.

I'm going to get 3 slings back if the breeding succeeds.

They'll be named Jumping, Jack and Flash. Yes, they ARE that quick.

The sheer speed is the number one challenge with OWs.

The ones I have aren't mean spiders.