• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Non-Tarantula Spider Photo Thread

Christine.A

3 Year Member
If you have any photos of spiders that aren't tarantulas, feel free to post them up!

Here are mine:

First off is a couple of black widows. Western black widow (Latrodectus hesperus)
Second_Black_Widow_3_by_AkariKuragi.jpg

I can't tell if this one's a true widow or a false widow. I remember its legs looked blockier than the other one but they both had the red mark on the underside (although I couldn't manage to get a shot of those. :C). Anyone have any ideas?
Little_Miss_Spider_by_AkariKuragi.jpg

Golden Silk Orb Weaver (Nephila clavipes)
spider_6_by_akarikuragi-d31912y.jpg

spider_1_by_akarikuragi-d3190cy.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

Black and white garden spider (Argiope aurantia).
spider_5_by_akarikuragi-d31910a.jpg

The "zig zag" patter they make in their webs.
IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1361.jpg

Christine.A

3 Year Member
Thanks. :3 I took the ones of the last two species at the Museum of Natural History. We went there for a field trip with my Biology of Insects and Spiders class and it was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The guy in charge of the insects (forgive me for lack of technical terms XD) had an idea of what to do with the butterfly house exhibit during the fall instead of just letting it sit there. So during the fall they have a spider house instead of a butterfly house, where you can go in and there's these giant orb weavers all over the place. The ones I normally see are about an inch long at most, so to see all these 3, 4, even 5 inch spiders all around was so cool.

Plus they had these monsters hanging all around. XD

I can't remember where he said he got these from, but the species is Nephila pilipes. They were bigger than my hand when I held it wide open.
spider_3_by_akarikuragi-d3190q4.jpg

Christine.A

3 Year Member
Some more of the Nephila pilipes.

Omnomnom
spider_7_by_akarikuragi-d3191by.jpg

spider_8_by_akarikuragi-d319x4s.jpg

These guys were so cool, absolutely beautiful spiders.
spider_9_by_akarikuragi-d31a07h.jpg

Just for comparison, these are what I'm used to. XD So much smaller and quite a bit duller
IMG_1319.jpg

Christine.A

3 Year Member
Alrighty, now I have some time soooo here are some pics of my pretty little brown widow (Latrodectus geometricus), Lacey.

Here's a belly shot of her. You can see the orange hour glass, though it's not as sharp as some examples.
DmEgGGw.jpg

One of her back with the flash on.
OFJWeRH.jpg

And one of her back without the flash.
JFe7g5w.jpg

Just trying out my new camera... Can't wait 'till I get a SLR... Point and shoot cameras are so frustrating when you're trying to take macro shots. >.>