• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nhandu Tripeppi struggling to locate food after molt

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Hi guys, a tad worried about my N. Tripeppi
This is his second molt in my care, he is about 8.5 cm.

I throw mealworms into his enclosure and he cannot locate them. They just dig into the substrate. He kinda moves a bit, but it's like he can't pinpoint them. Prior this was no issue. He was fast, so fast, I would throw the worm in and as soon as it hit the ground it was over. I've even seen him dig one up.

He molted about 2.5 weeks ago. I've tried feeding him 4x since then. First time, the worm just dug straight down.
Second time worm dug straight down.
Third time, I tried guiding him to the worm with little drops of water so he can feel the vibration. No dice, now I have 3 worms in his substraight. I then took a mealworm and put it right in front of him, he took it immediately and ate it.
Fourth time, same story, worm digs and he can't locate it. I pulled the worm out, cut it in half and threw it back in. Then he eventually found and ate it.

But what could cause this disparity in ability to locate and feel food. It's almost like he cannot feel the movements on the substraight. This was never an issue before?

He is not very fat either, his carapace is a bit smaller than his abdomen atm.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I found that really interesting. Your description of what is going on is really helpful too. Menavodi is I think bang on the money there, as the simplest explanation is normally the right one. You'll most likely find that it just needed a bit more time and will be able to locate them better then.

Just to play devils advocate who's to say that sensation can't be affected by something not quite right with the normally formed exoskeleton though? We know tarantula behaviour can change moult to moult, which must have something to do with how they perceive external stimuli.

I've not really come across this idea before but I'm going to see if I can find anything either in support or that can refute it. If anyone would like to share their thoughts or experiences too, please do :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The bigger the spider the longer they wait to eat after molting.

Not all spiders like worms. A few of mine started out on worms and wont eat them anymore...
My Nhandu chromatus are my pickiest eaters...if the feeder doesn't run they wont eat it. Many of them wont eat worms and dubias...I think they prefer to chase their prey. Just my observation...not fact.

E

ExMember

All my tarantulas eat worms. The trick to not having them burrow is to either crush their heads or decapitate them.

It sounds like the Nhandu isn't ready to eat. Are the fangs black yet?

Latest posts