• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BossHog

Hey guys,
Recently lost my pixie frog that I've had for quite some time. I have been looking into tarantulas and really interested in getting my first. I have been reading around on the forum for a few days and from what it seems most people recommend Brachypelma albopilosum. I was curious if there are any other good beginner tarantula's that are recommended. I would prefer for it be able to handle low humidity.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey guys,
Recently lost my pixie frog that I've had for quite some time. I have been looking into tarantulas and really interested in getting my first. I have been reading around on the forum for a few days and from what it seems most people recommend Brachypelma albopilosum. I was curious if there are any other good beginner tarantula's that are recommended. I would prefer for it be able to handle low humidity.
Hello and welcome :)
The brachypelma albopilosum is now known as Tliltocatl albopilosus they are indeed an excellent first choice tarantula but I can also recommend grammostola pulchripes and grammostola pulchra
Care requirements are the same, large terrestrial species (ground dwelling) they just need substrate, a hide and a water dish and your good to go (of course you can decorate to your choosing)
Both large and pretty hardy species, grammostola have so much character they love bulldozing their substrate around and filling there water dishes with it - they are usually busy doing something as slings you may find they burrow away
I hope that gives some more ideas :)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
T. albopilosus is a great choice. Hearty. Can handle low humidity. Plentiful. Inexpensive. Like @ilovebrachys mentioned with the Grammostola, T. albopilosus is a bull dozing machine. If you get one, expect lots of enclosure redecoration. I am not a tarantula handler advocate, but this species is rather tolerant to human hands.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here is one of ours :)
She is the best one to bring to school as she is super chill and never flicks hair and seems to like gentle touch.
P.S: please keep in mind that this is for educational purpose and although we are handling just a few spiders of our collection, I believe it is worth it as it educates children about tarantulas and I have been amazed to see the level of interest they generate in kids. They always start scared and after a few minutes introduction they are all lining up to see it from close and touch her.
93FCE5E5-F8E5-48B0-A8C7-A51368B080D4.jpeg
2BD13297-89D5-4425-A169-2C077DB02C04.jpeg

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Hey guys,
hello and sorry for your loss. As a 1st species, get any Grammostola or brachypelma species as they are docile and friendly :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hello and sorry for your loss. As a 1st species, get any Grammostola or brachypelma species as they are docile and friendly :)
Some of the most psychotic tarantulas in the hobby are Grammostola rosea and former Brachypelma vagans(now Tliltocatl). Each spider like people has its own personality. If it has fangs or urticating hairs it can and will use them. Ive been bitten by one of the most friendly docile tarantulas I've ever owned before.

Here's a couple Grammostola and Brachypelmas in my collection that will peirce your hand immediately. All raised by myself from slings...always treated with care. Even as small slings they were all defensive.
20190612_175936.jpg
20210106_191051.jpg
20201004_145433.jpg
20200118_130913.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the hobby & the forum. My Grammostola rosea & porteri are both kittens, ever so calm & chilled. My daughters Brachypelma hamorii on the other hand is a psycho *****, but my hamorii is again lovely. As Arachnoclown said. Every T is different.

One species not mentioned above, but which fits your specifications is an Aphonopelma seemanni. They are not colourful, but they are a beautiful T & they are, in general, very calm.

Edited to add. I am told by my Gramostola porteri's previous owner, that he purchased her from someone who used her in the same way that Oursapoil can be seen using his T above. She was used for public demonstrations & handled.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't handle. Ever. None of my T vagans or T albopilosus are heavy webbers, and they range in personality from pet rock to skittish to psycho.

My gbbs (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) are all lovely and rather consistent character Ts that are visible and active (not the bulldozers brachys can be) and are great webbers. They are hearty and beautiful and not slow growers like Aphonapelma and some Grammastola.

I think a gbb is an underrated and potentially wonderful first T if you do your research.

Welcome!

Last edited:

Latest posts