• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie question about carrion

tapkoote

3 Year Member
Two days ago I got fat meal worms, instead of crickets, crushed the head of one. No interest from my B "smithi". Today he sliped into his cave around 2 pm, unusual , and hasn't been out at 11pm. I think he found the fat meal worm -with crushed head-I threw in there, because it was gone. I've heard of carrion being eaten by T's but how do they find them???
They can't see for shoot, can't smell- as far as I've read. This thing has been laying dead for two days, he must have steped on it and realized it wasn't dirt. Anyone done a study?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good question. I know slings take prekilled food readily. Perhaps tiny muscle movements in the body give it away? And the tarantula just waits for it to stop twitching? I'm not certain, but I don't believe they have a sense of smell. Their sense of feel is unequaled though. I've walked into my room quietly at night and seen hiders disappearing before I was two steps inside. My regalis is famous for it..then again, Im convinced the arboreals see better than the terrestrial spiders. But my lividus does it too..

Latest posts