• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby

HeavyFuel

Good evening all, I am very new to the hobby. I would be most greatful for any help.
I am looking for a Green Bottle Blue.
Any recommendations of who or where I can get one from?
Or anyone who could recommend a good breeder in or near West Sussex / Surrey.
Thanks all in advance.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ohhhhh that guy Creatures from the North is bad juju and a rip off. I highly recommend NOT dealing with him. :( He will take your money and promise to ship months on end but never follows through. I lost $750.

I've dealt with him a few times and not had a problem.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've dealt with him a few times and not had a problem.

I think that's the guy that Austin is getting his import from that he has had issues with. Not sure but if you check Austin's site, it hosts quite a few pictures from Creatures website. I haven't spoken with Austin about this, though, so don't take my word for it. It could just be dealing with this guy overseas where the problems come in.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good evening all, I am very new to the hobby. I would be most greatful for any help.
I am looking for a Green Bottle Blue.
Any recommendations of who or where I can get one from?
Or anyone who could recommend a good breeder in or near West Sussex / Surrey.
Thanks all in advance.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any GBB available but some of the main on line sellers in the UK have already been shared. The only other one I would add is So Many Legs, who I have bought from many times without issues.

Good look in search for a GBB. They are a great T :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think that's the guy that Austin is getting his import from that he has had issues with. Not sure but if you check Austin's site, it hosts quite a few pictures from Creatures website. I haven't spoken with Austin about this, though, so don't take my word for it. It could just be dealing with this guy overseas where the problems come in.

He may be having problems getting them from the EU in the aftermath of Brexit.

HeavyFuel

Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't have any GBB available but some of the main on line sellers in the UK have already been shared. The only other one I would add is So Many Legs, who I have bought from many times without issues.

Good look in search for a GBB. They are a great T :)
Thanks man. Basically I want a heavy webber or semi heavy webber and that was the one I was recommended. Any other suggestions?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here are 3 more “Webbers” :)
C97C7BAC-F168-4FBF-9A5C-991B873E4006.jpeg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks man. Basically I want a heavy webber or semi heavy webber and that was the one I was recommended. Any other suggestions?
Already mentioned was the M balfouri but like any Old World Tarantula, they are not usually the first group of Ts for someone new to the hobby.

At the end of the day, each spider should be treated with respect and never handled and so as long as you are aware that Old World spiders like the M Balfouri are more defensive/aggressive and typically much faster, than New World, and you are prepared for this, then the choice is yours.

I would still recommend looking for a GBB as the preferred option for a heavy wedding first T as well as research to see if there are other species that are more appropriate (albeit they may not web as much).

HeavyFuel

Already mentioned was the M balfouri but like any Old World Tarantula, they are not usually the first group of Ts for someone new to the hobby.

At the end of the day, each spider should be treated with respect and never handled and so as long as you are aware that Old World spiders like the M Balfouri are more defensive/aggressive and typically much faster, than New World, and you are prepared for this, then the choice is yours.

I would still recommend looking for a GBB as the preferred option for a heavy wedding first T as well as research to see if there are other species that are more appropriate (albeit they may not web as much).
I have kept snakes and lizards for over 20 years, so feel fairly confident. However, I think its better to start with something that is not going to make me fill my pants every time I open the enclosure. Lol

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have kept snakes and lizards for over 20 years, so feel fairly confident. However, I think its better to start with something that is not going to make me fill my pants every time I open the enclosure. Lol
There are specific behaviors depending on which species you’ll pick but within a species individual can also show differences in their behaviors.
My M. balfouri (communal setup of 4 big juveniles and a sling) are super chilled and out and about half of the time. If disturbed they’ll run in their tunnels and I am still to witness a treat posture from them. An OBT or the darlingi are a different story and mine will face you and fight. The fimbriatus and villosella are almost 100% of the time out of sight.
Seconding your original idea and Phil, a GBB would be an excellent first choice although I would put the balfouri as close second :)
B64D3C9E-6F41-49A1-ADC6-8C46C297EBB8.jpeg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh what happened?

CFTN are based in N. Ireland which along with the rest of the UK has left the European Union so now there are customs restrictions where there were none. I don't think anyone is sure how this will affect the invert trade.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
CFTN are based in N. Ireland which along with the rest of the UK has left the European Union so now there are customs restrictions where there were none. I don't think anyone is sure how this will affect the invert trade.

Oh I've noticed most European vendors are no longer shipping to the US. Hmmm......even so, if that were the case then European vendors shouldn't accept US vendors money for import if they can't export the goods being purchased. I hope they find a way to fix this because this is putting a serious dent in the trade. USFW isn't helping, either. :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh I've noticed most European vendors are no longer shipping to the US. Hmmm......even so, if that were the case then European vendors shouldn't accept US vendors money for import if they can't export the goods being purchased. I hope they find a way to fix this because this is putting a serious dent in the trade. USFW isn't helping, either. :(
Nothing will have changed for European sellers selling direct to the US but CFTN are in N. Ireland which is no longer part of the European Union. The problem arises between the UK and Europe. You and Austin should be able to order direct from Europe.