• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby

Matt300ZXT

Hey guys, thanks for the add. I'm new to spiders and picked up a small family of tarantulas yesterday from a local breeder/seller here in the Chattanooga, TN area. I picked up a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue) about the size of a quarter, a caribena versicolor (antilles pinktoe) about the size of a dime, and got a couple freebies tliltocacatl albopilosus (curly hair) that are itty bitty. I'm going to be picking up some supplies to start a red runner roach colony to keep my new pets fed, some tweezers for feeding, a water bottle and some purified water to spritz their homes now and then for a quick drink. I'm probably going to pick up a small pack of worms of some kind at the pet store to cut in half to give the tiny little guys so they can eat, but the other 2 are big enough to eat some baby red runner roaches the breeder gave me to take home. Once these guys start getting bigger I'll probably end up going back for some more. I was wanting to pick up some of the blue ones he had (Singapore Blue, Cambodian Blue, etc) but I settled on these guys for now.

testdasi

Hey guys, thanks for the add. I'm new to spiders and picked up a small family of tarantulas yesterday from a local breeder/seller here in the Chattanooga, TN area. I picked up a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens (greenbottle blue) about the size of a quarter, a caribena versicolor (antilles pinktoe) about the size of a dime, and got a couple freebies tliltocacatl albopilosus (curly hair) that are itty bitty. I'm going to be picking up some supplies to start a red runner roach colony to keep my new pets fed, some tweezers for feeding, a water bottle and some purified water to spritz their homes now and then for a quick drink. I'm probably going to pick up a small pack of worms of some kind at the pet store to cut in half to give the tiny little guys so they can eat, but the other 2 are big enough to eat some baby red runner roaches the breeder gave me to take home. Once these guys start getting bigger I'll probably end up going back for some more. I was wanting to pick up some of the blue ones he had (Singapore Blue, Cambodian Blue, etc) but I settled on these guys for now.
Welcome to the hobby and those are some excellent choices!

Some pointers:
  • You don't need purified water. The water you drink is good enough. I have use tap water both in New England and Old England and never had a problem.
  • You don't really need to worms yet. You can try cutting up a roach. Most slings will scavenge anything so doesn't have to be worm. Cutting a mealworm is easier than cutting a roach, I do admit that.
  • You don't have to go old world (OW) for blue tarantulas. Pterinopelma sazimai (Brazilian blue) is a popular new world (NW) choice.
  • As a stepping stone before going OW, you might also want to get a Psalmopeous specie (e.g. P. cambridgei / P. irminia).
  • If you still decide on OW, make sure to do your research and don't be complacent. As always from me, I recommend Pokies (Poecilotheria species) as a great OW option.

Matt300ZXT

What size tub would you guys recommend to purchase for building a red Runner colony? I will probably get two or three more tarantulas soon, so I don't want a very large tub in case hundreds and hundreds will be produced. I won't need that many roaches.

spiderdobiesmom

Who by chance was the breeder!?

Latest posts