• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the forum and first time T owner!

Foxy

Hey guys! First time T owner, craziest idea I've ever done. I've always wanted a Tarantula but could never justify doing it until I found myself at a Reptile Expo this weekend and it was love at first sight, so to speak. She's an adult Brachypelma albopilosum(Curly Hair). I have not been able measure her yet, but she's pretty big. I have only had her for 3 days.

I am looking at setting up a better enclosure for her, as I picked up a premade tank at the Expo so I had a home for her. I am not a big fan of the screen tops, however, and was wondering where everyone gets their acrylic enclosures from.

Also, if anyone has any first time T owner advice or just anything you think is a "must know" please drop the knowledge. I've been doing so much research, but would love for my girl to be as happy as she can be. Her name is Lilith and I've presented some pictures! I do know she must have been rather stressed at the expo as she's got a bit of a bald spot on her abdomen.
image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum/family and congratulations on your first baby.
A few questions, was she sold as a sexed female (the picture do not let us see if it has boxing gloves at the end of its pedipalps). For sure she'll need a good meal soon enough as it looks like she could use it (as an example, all my females T. albopilosus have an abdomen larger than their cephalothorax.
Using the search tool on the forum you will be able to find many threads with the first basic recommendations for new owners/keepers. I would recommend you as well to get at least one or two books about the husbandry basics for your Ts (because who would stop at only one T!).
Last but not least, you made the perfect choice for your first T.

Foxy

Nicaraguan Tliltocatl albopilosum

~~~

Yes, thank you. :) I think I get them confused with the Brachy as they are so similar. I am still learning and trying to get species names down. Your enclosure looks very similar to mine, except with a screen top.

Foxy

Welcome to the forum/family and congratulations on your first baby.
A few questions, was she sold as a sexed female (the picture do not let us see if it has boxing gloves at the end of its pedipalps). For sure she'll need a good meal soon enough as it looks like she could use it (as an example, all my females T. albopilosus have an abdomen larger than their cephalothorax.
Using the search tool on the forum you will be able to find many threads with the first basic recommendations for new owners/keepers. I would recommend you as well to get at least one or two books about the husbandry basics for your Ts (because who would stop at only one T!).
Last but not least, you made the perfect choice for your first T.
Yes, I asked the breeder specifically to check for me on the sex before I purchased as I was unaware of what to look for. I am not sure what her travels were with the expo, or when she was last fed. But I did pick up some meal worms at the expo to take home with me and she had no problem eating. I will be making another run to a local pet store and picking up some bigger insects for her.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I asked the breeder specifically to check for me on the sex before I purchased as I was unaware of what to look for. I am not sure what her travels were with the expo, or when she was last fed. But I did pick up some meal worms at the expo to take home with me and she had no problem eating. I will be making another run to a local pet store and picking up some bigger insects for her.
A couple of large dubias or big juicy hornworms should do the trick for a big meal. I have no doubts she is in good hands and you will pamper and cherish her.

Foxy

A couple of large dubias or big juicy hornworms should do the trick for a big meal. I have no doubts she is in good hands and you will pamper and cherish her.
Thank you so much! I plan to keep everyone up to date with Lilith's journey and hopefully her new enclosure set up when I've figured out where to buy my new enclosure!

GreenKnight

Congrats on your first T! I got my first T just a few days ago as well (G. Pulchra)

For acrylic enclosures you can try Tarantula Crib, HerpCult, or Jamie's Tarantulas.

Have a great first Week with your T!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welxome and congratulations on your first (of many) T babies :D

T albopilosus was my first, too

Latest posts