• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Hobbie, hard to pick a specie

Kuuvang

Hey, I have been doing a lot of research on keeping tarantula and have decide to find a specie to buy.
Right now I have two option of tarantula I would like to get, but I can decide which one though.
The choices are euathlus sp red or Grammostola quirogai, both are bit pricey since they're a slow growers.
I could order a Grammostola quirogai, since their more available compare to euathlus sp red. But, I can wait until the reptile expo in July to see if there is a euathlus sp red that is available. Its a hard choice to make and I just need some help to figure out which one I should get. Both are wonderful beginner species and they don't get so big.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
:)If you go to that reptile expo you will see a lot of species that you want to have... so many great spiders out there for beginners. You did also some research, which is a great start! :T:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum:)
good luck in your search for a T...whatever you choose its a fantastically addictive hobby so you will have more than one in your collection...

Kuuvang

I was wondering? I never went to a reptile expo, but are the prices for T similar to the ones online or are they more fair in price?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome. Good luck finding Euathlus red...super hard to find and expensive if you do. The Grammostola quirogai is a odd ball to find. I think fear not tarantulas may have one. Good luck

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was wondering? I never went to a reptile expo, but are the prices for T similar to the ones online or are they more fair in price?
Depends where you are looking online. If your looking at the big shops with websites your going to pay out the ass for tarantulas plus shipping. If you look at breeder classifieds in forums they are much cheaper but your still paying alot in shipping. Your best bet is expos. You can make deals with the breeders and the prices are cheap to begin with. Many times I've worked breeders @ expos with $200 and walked out with dozens of Ts.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depends where you are looking online. If your looking at the big shops with websites your going to pay out the ass for tarantulas plus shipping. If you look at breeder classifieds in forums they are much cheaper but your still paying alot in shipping. Your best bet is expos. You can make deals with the breeders and the prices are cheap to begin with. Many times I've worked breeders @ expos with $200 and walked out with dozens of Ts.
Very true!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Lasiodora, any Brachyopelma, any Acanthoscurria species or a juvenile C versicolor if you want to do an arboreal will result in a positive introduction to the hobby.

These are mostly fast growing, with the exception of many brachys, have a great feeding response & you can grow with the spider.

C versicolor is a bit more delicate & requires NO extra humidity + lots of ventilation, which can be a bit of a hassle to set up, but this was my very first one personally.

Having said that, they are nothing short of spectacular.

Some brachys grow slowly so pick the size you actually want. B vagans however doesn't have that problem.

Versicolor 2molt7.jpg
C versicolor Charles chilling 1.jpg

Versicolor goes through a lot of different colors as they grow. Both males and females are brilliant and fairly similar.

B hamorii Samaria settles in 2.jpg

Of course, B hamorii is a classic but Samaria turned out to be a Samuel.

L Klugi Justina stands tall 1.jpg

This is Justina, my L klugi. She eats like a garbage disposal, the destroyer!! With Lasiodora species, always give them a larger then normal hide so they don't get defensive. They'll almost never use it, but when they get spooked, you'll be glad they have it.

Kuuvang

I'm actually going to pick up a curly hair tarantula next week. At the reptile expo, most likely pick up a another tarantula or a emperor scorpion.
thanks everyone for your favorite picks for a beginner!

Kuuvang

Should I fill more coconut fiber to half of the container? I have more stuff for the enclosure, but want to make sure this is enough coconut fiber.

Attachments

• 20190611_200259.jpg
    20190611_200259.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Should I fill more coconut fiber to half of the container? I have more stuff for the enclosure, but want to make sure this is enough coconut fiber.
Depends how big the spider is. Personally I dont worry too much on the issue, Ive never seen a fall injury, or death from a fall, in my collection. But others feel differently.

Latest posts