• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T keeper. Went overboard the last two weeks buying T's. Seeking advice

Steven

Hi guys, new to keeping T's but have been doing my due diligence from Youtube and other forums. Wanted to post this to see if my basic terrariums are okay for these spiders. Any input would be wonderful and appreciated.

First is my sling GBB

213380752_2971883486474955_8400681941567866766_n.jpg

My Arizona Blonde

210419259_2984908841749681_1412558735992085117_n.jpg

My Curly Hair

219066185_956029998460751_9182814927441548029_n.jpg

And finally, my stripped knee

211645980_842427713376983_6508051561842115126_n.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I will give you my two cents, but as I am a neophyte I am hoping those with more experience will chime in as well.

They look good, nice clean set ups.

Some general concerns these days are to make sure, mostly for terrestrials, that there is not a significant drop from the top of the enclosures to the substrate. Generally about 1.5x diagonal leg size.

Also how much air is getting to the A. seemanni (striped knee)? Is the cage on top always there? I can see some air holes in the enclosure lid, just not sure how much.

Steven

I will give you my two cents, but as I am a neophyte I am hoping those with more experience will chime in as well.

They look good, nice clean set ups.

Some general concerns these days are to make sure, mostly for terrestrials, that there is not a significant drop from the top of the enclosures to the substrate. Generally about 1.5x diagonal leg size.

Also how much air is getting to the A. seemanni (striped knee)? Is the cage on top always there? I can see some air holes in the enclosure lid, just not sure how much.
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the response! I was cleaning below their enclosures. Just got done feeding. The two large are mesh tops.
And regards to my blonde she/he really doesn’t do anything but stay in the coconut lol. But I will add more substrate just to keep her safe on the off chance she does climb.

smallbike

3 Year Member
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for the response! I was cleaning below their enclosures. Just got done feeding. The two large are mesh tops.
And regards to my blonde she/he really doesn’t do anything but stay in the coconut lol. But I will add more substrate just to keep her safe on the off chance she does climb.
Mesh tops can be dangerous if you've got a climber (and my A. seemanni certainly is) - if their foot gets caught and they fall, they can lose the foot/leg. I solved this by covering the perimeter with duct tape (top and bottom side of mesh so not sticky) and going far enough toward the center that she's only been able to pull her shenanigans once.

Good luck!

Steven

Mesh tops can be dangerous if you've got a climber (and my A. seemanni certainly is) - if their foot gets caught and they fall, they can lose the foot/leg. I solved this by covering the perimeter with duct tape (top and bottom side of mesh so not sticky) and going far enough toward the center that she's only been able to pull her shenanigans once.

Good luck!
Sounds good, I'll monitor tonight and get some tape tomorrow! Thank you guys so much

prince charmless

Good luck!
I always replace the mesh with drilled acrylic siliconed in place

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I always replace the mesh with drilled acrylic siliconed in place
When I get to the point of needing larger glass terrariums I will likely do the same. Seems like the best way to prevent tarantulas from getting stuck while dancing on the ceiling.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Steven, welcome to the forum.
Just a personal observation, I would remove the two "wood log" hides (picture 2 and 3 and replace them with cork bark like the one you use in picture 4. Trees often secret natural repellants to fight insects and I only know cork bark to be completely safe.
Have a great day.