• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New spiders received, feedback k on the enclosures please

Hi.

I just received today 0.0.3

Tliltocatl Albo (Curly hair/bed head) 0.0.1 suspected Female
G. Pulchra (Brazilian Blacks) 0.0.2 slings

Any as on improving the setup, does this look OK to you all?

Attachments

• received_307925036969299.jpeg
    received_307925036969299.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 39
  • received_766917654078930.jpeg
    received_766917654078930.jpeg
    696.3 KB · Views: 41
  • received_646038959346446.jpeg
    received_646038959346446.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 39
  • received_3228006027282397.jpeg
    received_3228006027282397.jpeg
    478.6 KB · Views: 38
  • received_646038959346446.jpeg
    received_646038959346446.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200818_124004~2.jpg
    IMG_20200818_124004~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, the pulchra set up I provided as you know is only temporary but does the job so they are fine. Yes they can be prettier as per personal choice but they are functional and basic which will do for now.

The Curly hair enclosure I think should have some flat spots for it to just hang out and rest, there appear to be lots of climbing and angled objects which they do not always necessarily like.

slightly sloped substrate with a hide embedded is all they really need (plus a water dish obviously) but after that it is personal choice for decorations. Just make sure they can move freely and have flat ground for resting comfortably and no sharp objects or spikes as that could cause an injury.

Hope that helps.

timc

3 Year Member
The enclosures look pretty good, maybe a little cluttered but overall should house some happy spoods. :T: Is that last picture the sling on a feather though? Never saw that before.

Hi, the pulchra set up I provided as you know is only temporary but does the job so they are fine. Yes they can be prettier as per personal choice but they are functional and basic which will do for now.

The Curly hair enclosure I think should have some flat spots for it to just hang out and rest, there appear to be lots of climbing and angled objects which they do not always necessarily like.

slightly sloped substrate with a hide embedded is all they really need (plus a water dish obviously) but after that it is personal choice for decorations. Just make sure they can move freely and have flat ground for resting comfortably and no sharp objects or spikes as that could cause an injury.

Hope that helps.
@Phil
Their is only one side that is sloped - where I'd constructed her cave.... The rest is just propped up with moss. theirs about half level ground, or should I flatten more of the ground?
S/he seems to be exploring, but not yet discovered the cave I made for her.

The Pulchra, are set up. Thanks for their (G.P's) mini enclosures, it works ideally for their purpose.
As I don't have anything smaller than Bratplast rubs.
I will probably get them acrylic enclosures after they molt for me. They seem otherwise settled/settling though.

Is it best to give the slings a bowl or a sponge? AS I was told "Slings can drowned in a water bowl" I suppose if its big enough to submerge in.. maybe?
From my understanding (Not too sure if this applies to all spiders), they are good swimmers, and as long as they can dip their fangs/faces into water, they'd, be ok.
Have also heard they don't need a water dish and gain all their fluids from foods and saturated substrate, how true is this?

I suppose "Different Strokes, for different folks" somewhat applies here.
As long as they don't have a wrinkled/Dehydrated abdomen, they would be ok.

Hope that helps.
@Phil
Their is only one side that is sloped - where I'd constructed her cave.... The rest is just propped up with moss. theirs about half level ground, or should I flatten more of the ground?

The Pulchra, are set up. Thanks for their (G.P's) mini enclosures, it works ideally for their purpose.
I will probably get them acrylic enclosures after they molt for me. They seem otherwise settled/settling though.

Is it best to give the slings a bowl or a sponge? AS I was told "Slings can drowned in a water bowl" I suppose if its big enough to submerge in.. maybe?
From my understanding (Not too sure if this applies to all spiders), they are good swimmers, and as long as they can dip their fangs/faces into water, they'd, be ok.
Have also heard they don't need a water dish and gain all their fluids from foods and saturated substrate, how true is this?

The enclosures look pretty good, maybe a little cluttered but overall should house some happy spoods. :T: Is that last picture the sling on a feather though? Never saw that before.
Hi.

Yes a Sling on a feather!
Thanks.

I was rehoming them, as I had only recived them yesturday, an i only had used makeup brushes handy, So I used a feather to coax them to move to their new Temp enclosure., I was worried i would accidently smoosh them, as theyaare about 3cm, was the most least invasive and gentilest approach. I have never rehomed any spide (unless wild), or any slings, ever. Was my first time in doing this.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas should always be provided with water dishes for the small ones bottle caps are ideal - for the tiny ones a pill blister (washed out well) otr a tiny tattoo ink pot serve well as water dishes... Slings will not drown but it makes sense to give a water dish size appropriate for the sling
Sponges in water dishes are no good as they harbour bacteria - hope that helps :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Phil

never use sponges. they just trap bacteria. I have never seen a spiderling drown as a) they are too small to break the surface tension and b) they are capable of swimming/walking on water. If you have moss as long as that is damp they will drink from that. They will also drink water if you put a few drops down the side of the enclosure or use a tiny cap such as a tattoo pot of a blanking cap that is used to fill holes in cabinets.....basically.anything but a sponge (or that garbage bug gel).

timc

3 Year Member
Hi.

Yes a Sling on a feather!
Thanks.

I was rehoming them, as I had only recived them yesturday, an i only had used makeup brushes handy, So I used a feather to coax them to move to their new Temp enclosure., I was worried i would accidently smoosh them, as theyaare about 3cm, was the most least invasive and gentilest approach. I have never rehomed any spide (unless wild), or any slings, ever. Was my first time in doing this.
One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received in this hobby has been take too many precautions. It’s nice to see a new keeper concerned with all the aspects that go into having a tarantula. Just keep reading, keep posting, keep loving and soon you’ll be a regular addict like the rest of us lol

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received in this hobby has been take too many precautions. It’s nice to see a new keeper concerned with all the aspects that go into having a tarantula. Just keep reading, keep posting, keep loving and soon you’ll be a regular addict like the rest of us lol
Thanks.
I like to know good husbandry. Or find a way of getting educated on such!
Thanks.

For slings, I like to use Legos as water dishes. They come in a variety of sizes so you can find one that doesn't take up too much room in a small enclosure.
That's a good idea. I have just been spraying the enclosure, till I found a way to give them water, as all the dishes I have wouldn't even fit in the enclosures.

Tarantulas should always be provided with water dishes for the small ones bottle caps are ideal - for the tiny ones a pill blister (washed out well) otr a tiny tattoo ink pot serve well as water dishes... Slings will not drown but it makes sense to give a water dish size appropriate for the sling
Sponges in water dishes are no good as they harbour bacteria - hope that helps :)
Hi.

Yeah, I had heard that sponges harbor bacteria, and thought to myself "Slings font have acsess to sponges when not in captivity or in an egg sack!

I have used a pill case as a water bowl.
Never had to water something this tiny before.