• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Sling Mom Update!

cmvcarlsson

Hi All!

Thank you for the awesome welcome and advice. I am so excited because my t. Albo sling molted! I had a feeling it was getting ready to molt. I can see the molt but "Velcro" is hiding in the burrow for now. I have been able to get a small peek at a leg that is visible through the glass, and I am surprised by how much bigger and more hair the leg has. I have never seen a T molt before and I can't wait for Velcro to make its full body makeover debut when they are ready! I am so stinking attached to this little guy/gal.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Velcro is such a great name for a curly hair (T. albopilosus), congratulations.
It is fun to save the molts (in a few days if it just molted) and date them to see how much it grows. You can also frame them later on. Here is an example of what I do for my son :)
A2E9BD80-932C-4C49-9BE6-713CF7699198.jpeg

cmvcarlsson

Wow! What a great idea! I love it! My sister does resin art and she was thinking I should put it in resin for a coaster or jewelry holder. But I really like the idea of seeing the growth! How often to t. Albo's molt when they are slings? I have heard anywhere from 4-6 weeks? My boa constrictor is only supposed to shed every couple of months but lately, it's every 3-4 weeks. (Totally unrelated but I can't help think of snakes shedding when I see the molt) I know nothing about T molts, other than they are super vulnerable after and to wait to feed them.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wow! What a great idea! I love it! My sister does resin art and she was thinking I should put it in resin for a coaster or jewelry holder. But I really like the idea of seeing the growth! How often to t. Albo's molt when they are slings? I have heard anywhere from 4-6 weeks? My boa constrictor is only supposed to shed every couple of months but lately, it's every 3-4 weeks. (Totally unrelated but I can't help think of snakes shedding when I see the molt) I know nothing about T molts, other than they are super vulnerable after and to wait to feed them.
The younger the T the more often they'll molt. Females will molt all their lives (although it slows down once fully mature) and males will stop after their ultimate molt (when they reach sexual maturity). The main difference between snakes and Ts is that snakes replace their top skin layer (their bones are inside their bodies) when Ts molt their exoskeleton as their outside is their "bones" in order to grow. This is why they are so fragile during and right after the molt as they are soft and do not have any protection. Other might be able to explain it better but I believe this is pretty much the idea ;)

cmvcarlsson

Thank you Oursapoil!

Yeah, I am familiar with the exoskeleton difference vs shedding with snakes. I think it's super cool when they molt because it looks like there are two spiders in the enclosure right now. Heehehe! I did a fair amount of research and snooping through various T forums before I committed to getting Velcro. I am already excited to add another T to my collection in the upcoming months. I just want to be sure that this sling does well first and build my knowledge base on care and husbandry before I commit to another T.

This forum is great and everyone is so nice and helpful!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Velcro is such a great name for a curly hair (T. albopilosus), congratulations.
It is fun to save the molts (in a few days if it just molted) and date them to see how much it grows. You can also frame them later on. Here is an example of what I do for my son :)View attachment 56119
Really cool looking!. Do you do anything to the molts to preserve them?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Really cool looking!. Do you do anything to the molts to preserve them?
I usually let them to soak in warm water to soften them before putting them the wait I want with needless. Once done I let them dry/harden then put them in frame. Under the glass they are protected and seem to remain that way. My oldest ones are several years old and still looking like the day I framed them.

Latest posts