• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Sling Mom Here!

cmvcarlsson

Hi All!

I am very excited to be part of this group. I have years of experience with reptiles but this is my first t. Albopilosus sling! I am already so obsessed with it. I have had it for about 3 weeks. It is eating well and has created a little burrow in its small tank. I estimate that it is about 1.5 inches right now. I have a few questions regarding molting. When I first got the sling and put it in its new habitat it was a bit more "active" but the last week it has just hung out in its burrow and not moving much. It did eat a small cricket 3 days ago but after that nothing. I am assuming it is getting ready to molt. I am pretty darn lucky because the burrow is right up against the glass so I can check it out easily and watch it eat! I kind of have a knack for husbandry and ensuring humidity and temp are good from my years with reptiles. I have also gone through this forum before joining to check out what people have recommended for t. Albopilosus slings.

Assuming my T is going to molt soon do you have any recommendations on how long to wait to feed. I heard 4-5 days? Also will I need to remove the molt? Others have said the T will "do housekeeping" and then I can remove it?

Any other tips and advice would be awesome!

thank you

Tarantulafeets

For slings, you can wait a shorter time to feed than adults, about 4 to 5 days should work, but I would rather go off of the color of the fangs and if they are hardened or not.
You can remove the molt when you want, but my t albos keep their molts in their burrows and that is perfectly fine.
Anyway, welcome to the hobby! T albos are great t's and absolutley beautiful when they grow up.

cmvcarlsson

Thank you! I was really surprised to see how active this little one was setting up its burrow and exploring the space. Currently I don't have a "water dish" in the habitat but I am spraying the sides of the tank and the humidity in there is pretty good. The abdomen looks good as well. Is this sufficient or should I put a little bottle cap dish with water in there? I don't want it to drown.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!

Leave your little bugger be, it will let you know when it's ready.

I'm a fan of underfeeding, vs overfeeding. Use the plumpness of the abdomen as your feeding guide. If it's got a plump booty, slow down feeding to twice the duration until it refuses a meal; then wait. If it doesn't molt in a week, try feeding again. Remove uneaten feeders after 24 hrs.

cmvcarlsson

Got it! Thank you! Yeah, I always take the uneaten food out. I have yet to see any remains though, and I heard they should be removed as well? Also this is gonna sound dumb but do they poop? Do I need to take that out?

As of right now it eats about every 5 days. I don't plan to mess with it or hold it ever as I hear slings are fast and as they get older a drop can kill them. I just love watching it do its thing and burrow. This little one is quite intelligent with its burrows! Heheh! I see more T's in my future as they add such a nice touch to my collection of snakes. I wanted something fairly hardy as a beginner.

Mundo exotico

Hello and welcome. I would put a small bottle cap with water. Your T is amazing. With time it will become like this one;)
IMG_20210117_032320.jpg

Latest posts