• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Poecilotheria metallica sling

rapidfire

C0E4338A-2672-493D-B081-300A874DFD62.jpeg

My wife surprised me with this today. Any tips on care? This is my first Poecilotheria.

timc

3 Year Member
Catch cups and looooooooooooong tongs. They cruise. I’ve never owned metallica, but from what I understand they’re one of the more skittish pokies, probably because they’re the smallest and don’t grow the confidence of a rufilata, ornata, regalis. They’re probably pretty chill if you don’t go poking around their enclosure all the time.

One last note; I’ve heard a lot of people over the years say pokies will run laps around their enclosure when startled; not my rufilata. When she was younger she was an up-and-over girl and that speed is speed. So just respect your spider and all should be well.

prince charmless

Catch cups and looooooooooooong tongs. They cruise. I’ve never owned metallica, but from what I understand they’re one of the more skittish pokies, probably because they’re the smallest and don’t grow the confidence of a rufilata, ornata, regalis. They’re probably pretty chill if you don’t go poking around their enclosure all the time.

One last note; I’ve heard a lot of people over the years say pokies will run laps around their enclosure when startled; not my rufilata. When she was younger she was an up-and-over girl and that speed is speed. So just respect your spider and all should be well.
I recently got my first Poecilotheria, a Rufilata. So far it has been well behaved and building a web curtain behind the cork bark. It is about 1.25". I have a Singapore Blue about the same size. It will ne interesting to compare their behavior as they grow.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations, awesome gift!

Poecilotheria are scramblers. When disturbed
they appear nervous, and scatter-brained and will clamor about almost anxiously. P metallica are less reclusive than some pokies, in my experience, and will tend to be out until noticed and then may retreat to a hide.

A top opening, tall, arboreal enclosure 4-5x the leg-span of the T is best. Good cross ventilation and leaning cork bark on about 1-2" of substrate with moss, and as they pass the 2" mark a water dish. Pokies will fill their water dishes with excavate, yes they burrow as slings, so make sure you can maintain and access the water dish easily.

I have 9 Metallica juveniles in peanut butter jars almost ready for a rehouse. Have a catch cup ready when opening their enclosures and don't be thrown off by their erratic scrambling when disturbed.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congratulations, awesome gift!

Poecilotheria are scramblers. When disturbed
they appear nervous, and scatter-brained and will clamor about almost anxiously. P metallica are less reclusive than some pokies, in my experience, and will tend to be out until noticed and then may retreat to a hide.

A top opening, tall, arboreal enclosure 4-5x the leg-span of the T is best. Good cross ventilation and leaning cork bark on about 1-2" of substrate with moss, and as they pass the 2" mark a water dish. Pokies will fill their water dishes with excavate, yes they burrow as slings, so make sure you can maintain and access the water dish easily.

I have 9 Metallica juveniles in peanut butter jars almost ready for a rehouse. Have a catch cup ready when opening their enclosures and don't be thrown off by their erratic scrambling when disturbed.
well said, buddy!

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Congrats :D

I only have one pokie, and it's a metallica sling. I feel the above 'scrambling, scatter-brained' describes her movements well :p For a few months she would run in random directions then vanish as soon as I got near the enclosure, but recently she'd been sitting on the lid and refusing to get off it even when I lift it to get food/water in, so I wonder if she's becoming more confident lol and I am very wary of her running out.

I am curious - is the 119 dollars the going rate for P. metallica slings in the U.S.? I know they used to be really expensive but in the UK they seem to be much cheaper than that now :O

Memo7

Have fun they are an awesome tarantula. I have 4 P. Metallica’s 1 (12) year old female and 3 slings anywhere from 1”-3”.
I also have 2 regalis females 10 years old each
P. Viatta sling
2 P. Rufalata slings
P fasiata sling
P. Tigreswelli female 4”
P. Ornata sling
2 P. Smithi slings
P. Miranda sling
P. Subfusca sling
Only missing a few.
for me with these is to learn each individuals behavior so you know how to deal with. Most of mine are mellow yes they can be a spaz but if you are patient they do mellow out. Only time I am over cautious is when rehousing. I like to use a large tub of dirt with cork that way if if it does escape it hides in dirt.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I rehoused 2 P ornata and 2 P regalis today using a zip tie and catch cup with holes for zip tie poke-thru in various spots. Easy peasy.

Rehousing and transfers are quick, easy, no risk/zero stress when done right (planned)

rapidfire

Congrats :D

I only have one pokie, and it's a metallica sling. I feel the above 'scrambling, scatter-brained' describes her movements well :p For a few months she would run in random directions then vanish as soon as I got near the enclosure, but recently she'd been sitting on the lid and refusing to get off it even when I lift it to get food/water in, so I wonder if she's becoming more confident lol and I am very wary of her running out.

I am curious - is the 119 dollars the going rate for P. metallica slings in the U.S.? I know they used to be really expensive but in the UK they seem to be much cheaper than that now :O
Yeah they go for $100-$125 here in the U.S. I found a few for $85-$90 online but the shipping is $40-$50.

LinInuRen

My p. Metalica is clumsy. It's out all the time and is finally STARTING to get some blue tint. Any time it's out and gets startled it falls on its back. Then surprise into its hide. Right now its enclosure would be safe for a terrestrial, but disliked for shallow substrate. I'm going to need to rehouse it in a couple molts.

Attachments

• 20210826_134129.jpg
    20210826_134129.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21

Spots

Have fun they are an awesome tarantula. I have 4 P. Metallica’s 1 (12) year old female and 3 slings anywhere from 1”-3”.
I also have 2 regalis females 10 years old each
P. Viatta sling
2 P. Rufalata slings
P fasiata sling
P. Tigreswelli female 4”
P. Ornata sling
2 P. Smithi slings
P. Miranda sling
P. Subfusca sling
Only missing a few.
for me with these is to learn each individuals behavior so you know how to deal with. Most of mine are mellow yes they can be a spaz but if you are patient they do mellow out. Only time I am over cautious is when rehousing. I like to use a large tub of dirt with cork that way if if it does escape it hides in dirt.
Impressive collection. Is your Subfusca highland or lowland? And what other pokies you are missing?