• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New pet B. vagans!

mak_manning3

Hey guys! So I just finally got the vagans I've been wanting so badly. He/she is about 3 inches and I'm absolutely in love. I read a ton on them in preparation and from my understanding they like to burrow. However, mine seems to think it is arboreal. It climbs the glass and even walks upside down on the lid of its 10 gallon tank. I know it has fell at least twice as I saw it happen (I probably need to get my heart checked now). I added even more substrate to cushion the fall because I know how delicate they are but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It has a good 5 or so inches of substrate (a mix of peat moss and coconut fiber), a hide, and a water dish, so I'm not sure if it just enjoys climbing or if something is wrong. Also, do you recommend keeping a heating mat under their tanks? It is finally starting to get cold here in South GA and I'm concerned it might get a bit chilly in the house.

xoxo- MaK

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some T's are keen climbers of the side, I have two Brachypelma's which often climb on the side & one juvie who now spends lots of time in a plastic plant. Although I believe the Vegans is now a Tliltocatl, not a Brachy.. So maybe it's decided to not behave like a terrestrial Brachy.
How moist is the substrate & does it have something like bark, or a plant (real or plastic) to stand/climb on, to get away from the substrate, if it wants too ? As sometimes a T will climb the side more when the substrate is too moist. But substrate will dry with time.

So it could be the substrate is a little too moist for your Vegans, or it could just be you have a Vegans which thinks it's spiderman.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
I have a sub-adult female vagans... she's a pain in my ass!.
They're a terrestrial species so are believed to spend they're time grounded but mine is constantly climbing around her 30cm-cubed enclosure looking for a way out. They're not a fossorial species (burrower) and mine never ever uses her hide.
Substrate volume doesn't lessen the impact of a fall, height does, so make sure the highest she could fall from is no bigger than twice her leg span.
in regards to heat mats, I have never used one for a T, if you're comfortable, so are they. Colder temps just slow them down a bit really. When i switch the heating on, all of mine come out of their hides and climb up the sides, even the arid substrate ones.

Last edited:
Here is mine closed off the front of the hide and uses the back, usually stays on the substrate, good luck I love mine as well just beautiful

Attachments

• 20191028_204559.jpg
    20191028_204559.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts