• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New keeper, really worried

Emster

3 Year Member
I got my first tarantula back in June this year and let me tell you how exciting it was (and still is!) It's a lovely little honduran curly hair. I suspect male but I'm not too sure. It's definitely not fully grown. Last month it closed off its hide and has not come out since. I really hoped that meant it was getting ready to molt.
About a week and a half ago I peaked into the hide (one side was only blocked by some fake plants so it was super easy to lift up a couple leaves, peak, and set them back into place). I was absolutely delighted to see that my T's abdomen had turned black.
Though I know I probably should not have, I peaked again 3 days later (being a first time keeper I'm really curious about how long it will take once their abdomen's change color). To my alarm the T was literally sitting in the exact same position, though it did look like it had pooped some time in those 3 days.
It's been another week since then and today I checked again. My T still has not moved a single muscle, so it has been in the exact same position for at least a week and a half, and the abdomen is not any shinier. I dont see any sign of a death curl but I'm starting to get really worried. Is it normal for a T in pre-molt to not move a muscle for over a week?
I dont want to do anything until I get input from more experienced keepers. I really hope it's nothing and I'm just another overly-worried newbie, but at this point I probably won't be able to sleep much until I figure out what's up.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum
Don't be so worried about your T.. This is normal they don't move unless they have to- they have no reason to if they are in premolt they just hide away and do there thing
Just leave it be as long as you've got a water dish in there it will come out when it's ready :)

Emster

3 Year Member
I'm really glad to hear that. My T was just so active in the couple months before closing off the hide that I think seeing them so still for so long freaked me out a little. I've been wanting a tarantula for the last 4 years and it would break my heart to lose my first one after only 4 months. I just hope it doesn't take too much longer to molt, I think I may be more stressed out about this then my T

Emster

3 Year Member
Sad update
I just peaked again and well... I was pretty startled to see what i believe to be mold covering my T from head to toe. I dont think he made it. Any recommendations? Any clue what happened?
20201001_115019.jpg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
It probably failed to moult. Unfortunately this happens.Moulting is stressful time for a tarantula and sometimes goes wrong.
Regards Konstantin

Latest posts