• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New keeper here.. Well, soon will be ️

Hi everyone.

I have cared for a T, but never owned one.
Looked into them off and on over the years, so know "some", stuff... l'm aways happy to learn more about these (and others/your's) majestic creatures!

Although... Waited years to, finally decided to get my first T's.

0.0.2 Grammostola pulchra - "Grown On" Slings.
0.0.1 Tliltocatl (ex Brachypelma) albopilosum (Honduram form curly hair) - Juvinile, suspected Female.

I should receive them tomorrow!

Also any photos and info of these following:

* Cyriocosmus elegant - (Trinidadian Dwarf)
* Versicolor (C. Versicolor too) - any other version of versicolor.
* Psalmopoeus irminia - Venezuelan suntiger

Just after any useful advice people have, aka, what peoples experiences are with these, good and bad.
Other things I should know as a keeper!

I have an array of tools and such, from my Morelia sp/ssp, Hydrodynastes gigas, scale babies, ect.

Really been after some C. VERSICOLOR For many year's. I always miss them... Mostly due to hesitations... I really should stop doing that... And just get some!

@Phil, I am really looking forward to raising these. Thank you ever so much, for sending me my first T's. And bearing with some of my probably explaned 100's of times neewby question's to do with T's.

Thanks guys.
Happy herpibg, Teranchularing, ect.

Kind Regards

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi everyone.

I have cared for a T, but never owned one.
Looked into them off and on over the years, so know "some", stuff... l'm aways happy to learn more about these (and others/your's) majestic creatures!

Although... Waited years to, finally decided to get my first T's.

0.0.2 Grammostola pulchra - "Grown On" Slings.
0.0.1 Tliltocatl (ex Brachypelma) albopilosum (Honduram form curly hair) - Juvinile, suspected Female.

I should receive them tomorrow!

Also any photos and info of these following:

* Cyriocosmus elegant - (Trinidadian Dwarf)
* Versicolor (C. Versicolor too) - any other version of versicolor.
* Psalmopoeus irminia - Venezuelan suntiger

Just after any useful advice people have, aka, what peoples experiences are with these, good and bad.
Other things I should know as a keeper!

I have an array of tools and such, from my Morelia sp/ssp, Hydrodynastes gigas, scale babies, ect.

Really been after some C. VERSICOLOR For many year's. I always miss them... Mostly due to hesitations... I really should stop doing that... And just get some!

@Phil, I am really looking forward to raising these. Thank you ever so much, for sending me my first T's. And bearing with some of my probably explaned 100's of times neewby question's to do with T's.

Thanks guys.
Happy herpibg, Teranchularing, ect.

Kind Regards
Welcome to the family Rosey :)

Good to see you on here. There are lots of members who will gladly share their experiences with you and you have got some cracking "first T" species to start your addiction.

There is a gallery section on the forum where I am sure you will find lots of useful reference picture of all those species you have on your current want list.

As I always say, enjoy your furry friends :)

Welcome to the family Rosey :)

Good to see you on here. There are lots of members who will gladly share their experiences with you and you have got some cracking "first T" species to start your addiction.

There is a gallery section on the forum where I am sure you will find lots of useful reference picture of all those species you have on your current want list.

As I always say, enjoy your furry friends :)

Thanks for welcoming me! Glad to finally be a part of the floofy fuzz ballz fam!

I... May not even sleep till late tonight. Will be stalking the posties tomorrow.

Also, I am looking forward to everything really, mainly not so much the wait for the Pulchra to grow to adults, but it will be nice to raise them and have a slow growing floof ball's. And have the patience to do so... Rather than rush, rush, rush.
Ah. What it would be to be a slow growing spoofy ball. With not a care in the world.

Its really bad, I am Concidering another.
But... Been considering for a good 15yr already!
I think the ones I have right now, will be just fine.
Especially... For me to learn what I can at this point. Although if that one's a female, would be after a male, daily soon... Prefably sub adult.

Does anyone please have any Slough, of male vs female, from sub adults, and juviniles I could use for future cross reference?

Will be nice to see, what people do with their enclosures.

@Phil
I don't need another addiction. Famous last words eh!
I have too many reptiles as is...
Although really Concidering a regal jumper or some other jumper... At some point.
Any scientific names I can look into, would be much appreciated.

At some point... Defo want a versicolor or another suitable fluffy multicoloured T, with a calm disposition. Any suggestions?

I kinda want to keep a T that will threat pose and be "Interesting", but don't want to kak myself an try to kill me every time.
As entertaining as that would be for others... Always loved the old world T's. But. Not sure I am ready for that. Have enough of that dance with some of the reptiles, when they wanna be crazy... Just to keep me in my toes.

What kinds of spiders and enclosures do you allll prefer and why?
Any info on breeding successfully rather than the male getting eaten... Or is that pritty much what is expected to happen, is their a way to avoid this happening? I'd assume by ensuring the female's are well fed... Or if you can adopt a similar approach to breeding mantices.

What files/books/websites are best recommended for me to look into?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, Psalmopeus irminia are very flighty and sometimes defensive. They are an old world tarantula (hence, potent venom). I definitely wouldn't recommend it until you research to no end on this one. The other species you listed would be ok for a beginner. As far as the Caribena versicolor just make sure you have ample cross ventilation and you will be fine. I notice a lot of beginners lose that species due to simple hobby mistakes. There is tons of info on this forum and if not, there are plenty of folks to help you along your journey! :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, Psalmopeus irminia are very flighty and sometimes defensive. They are an old world tarantula (hence, potent venom).
Psalmopoeus are new world. From what I’ve experienced the Pulchers are defensive but all the Irminias we have they all prefer to hide if disturbed rather than stand their ground

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Psalmopoeus are new world. From what I’ve experienced the Pulchers are defensive but all the Irminias we have they all prefer to hide if disturbed rather than stand their ground

Ahhhh you are right. I was thinking venom potency, lack of urticaria hairs and not locality when I mentioned old world. My bad. New world tarantula but packs a nasty bite like the old worlds do. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, Psalmopeus irminia are very flighty and sometimes defensive. They are an old world tarantula (hence, potent venom). I definitely wouldn't recommend it until you research to no end on this one. The other species you listed would be ok for a beginner. As far as the Caribena versicolor just make sure you have ample cross ventilation and you will be fine. I notice a lot of beginners lose that species due to simple hobby mistakes. There is tons of info on this forum and if not, there are plenty of folks to help you along your journey! :)

I beg to differ. Psalmopeus are from Central and South America but bridge the gap between NW and OW having venom and no urticating hairs.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I beg to differ. Psalmopeus are from Central and South America but bridge the gap between NW and OW having venom and no urticating hairs.

Yeah thats what Matt said....they are NW. I was thinking OW due to venom potency and lack of urticating hairs....locality completely slipped my mind.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
all P irminia I have had just prefer to hide. The are turbo speed quick though so you need to be on your guard. Agree with others, cross ventilation is key for versi but even under right conditions they can be a 'delicate' species to raise successfully.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
Got myself a P. irminia (finaly) about a month ago, all I can say is to be prepared for anything! I thought I was until it bolted up my arm. They do like to hide (mine bolts into her hide the second I lay finger on its enclosure) but are striking from sing to adult ,but expect to see it at night.
hope you enjoy your T's!!!

Got myself a P. irminia (finaly) about a month ago, all I can say is to be prepared for anything! I thought I was until it bolted up my arm. They do like to hide (mine bolts into her hide the second I lay finger on its enclosure) but are striking from sing to adult ,but expect to see it at night.
hope you enjoy your T's!!!
@Enn49 Do you have photos of you're T's?

Latest posts