• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new joiner

shaun

3 Year Member
Hi,
I had a juvenile pink toe foisted onto me, I reluctantly agreed to look after it and the furry little thing has grown on me! ( not literally).
I am doing my best to follow on-line advice but find lots of contradiction. Hoping to get good information here.
Shaun.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place and a big hello to a fellow UK member :)

Please post pics of your lovely little furry friend (I mean the tarantula @Dave Jay before you think otherwise....LOL).

you will be an "arachnoholic" before you know it :)

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place and a big hello to a fellow UK member :)

Please post pics of your lovely little furry friend (I mean the tarantula @Dave Jay before you think otherwise....LOL).

you will be an "arachnoholic" before you know it :)
I don't see my furry little friend so much these days...sigh.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You do know that you have to take pics and upload them for the T to do is best right?

Avics are among the most stunning in terms of their appearance in the entire hobby.

They are dry spiders. Add no misting or humidity in any way shape or form. Use an elevated waterdish because some of them will not go to the ground to drink water.

shaun

3 Year Member
This is the tank, how do I elevate the water dish?
The pet shop guy said to mist the tank, as pink toes need it and he gave me some live moss to keep damp. I keep getting contradictory advice, which makes it difficult for a novice like me.

Attachments

• WP_20181207_17_51_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20181207_17_51_36_Pro.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The pet shop guy said to mist the tank, as pink toes need it and he gave me some live moss to keep damp. I keep getting contradictory advice, which makes it difficult for a novice like me.

Caribena/Avicularia live in humid forests and it was always believed that they needed high humidity but they live high up in the trees where the breezes disperse the moisture. Over time keepers realised that in fact high humidity kills many of them which is why it is now accepted that it is better to keep them dry with good cross ventilation.
Some people do glue the water bowl to the side of the container or the wood. Personally I never bothered, my girl has a water bowl down on the substrate and she has constructed a web tunnel right down the side of her wood to the edge of the bowl where I do occasionally see her appear for a drink.

shaun

3 Year Member
Caribena/Avicularia live in humid forests and it was always believed that they needed high humidity but they live high up in the trees where the breezes disperse the moisture. Over time keepers realised that in fact high humidity kills many of them which is why it is now accepted that it is better to keep them dry with good cross ventilation.
Some people do glue the water bowl to the side of the container or the wood. Personally I never bothered, my girl has a water bowl down on the substrate and she has constructed a web tunnel right down the side of her wood to the edge of the bowl where I do occasionally see her appear for a drink.
Cool, thanks. I will give it a go

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the group. As long as you have a water dish it doesnt matter. I have both high and low dishes and all my arboreal Ts drink from them. Ive even changed it up on them and they still find it and drink out of it. If you want one up high I use a plastic lid or condiment cup and hot glue it to the enclosure. The only good thing I've noticed about having a water dish up high is they are less likely to trash it up with dirt, feces and bolus.

shaun

3 Year Member
Sounds like a good idea, I have not seen her (I have named her Claudette, but I wouldn't have a clue as to it's gender) on the ground, spends most of the time on the tank side, up high.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

This is simple wine glass by the side of the enclosure.
Charles elevated waterdish B.jpg

There are actually a zillion ways to do it.

Latest posts